replacement chainset for Triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got a 2011 Triban 3 and the chainset is worn out. Not bad considering I commute year round. Please recommend a replacement. For those unfamiliar with the model it's a 3x8 road bike with generic components. The original is an 'Ounce' brand triple on a square taper.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got a 2011 Triban 3 and the chainset is worn out. Not bad considering I commute year round. Please recommend a replacement. For those unfamiliar with the model it's a 3x8 road bike with generic components. The original is an 'Ounce' brand triple on a square taper.
Whole chainset or just the rings?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’d go something generic like a Stronglight, have them on my Rourke (9spd) and Brompton, so suitable for most applications.
So, do decathlon sell a replacement or measure the BCD - bolt circle diameter and see if you can simply by the rings...

OP
OP
M
If you want to upgrade a bit this should work:
https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-sora-r3030-50-39-30t-triple-road-9-speed-chainset-EV294114
Doesn’t say Hollowtech but I’m sure it is. Mine came with the outboard BB and this most likely does although again it doesn’t say, worth checking with Evans. If it doesn’t it’s only about a tenner.
You’ll save a bit of weight compared to a square taper BB.
A hundred and five Earth Pounds! Also, mine is square taper.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I did say if you wanted to upgrade. Thr outboard bb is a straight screw in replacement for the square taper but if you want bargain basement a Tourney square taper chainset should set you back about forty quid.
BB width is the determining factor in selecting complete chain sets but it’s sq taper you can just reuse your existing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Mr Google tells me that MTB triples aren't interchangeable with road bikes. Which is a shame as they're plentiful and cheap. It seems that road bike triples are becoming a thing of the past, a narrow selection and expensive. Bummer...

Top Bottom