Replacement flat bar shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Something went bang inside the right hand (rear) shifter of my Sirrus. I presume a spring has broken as there is now very little resistance when changing down (to larger diameter sprockets). It still shifts when required, but also sometimes shifts up without any user input. A look inside the shifter suggests that dismantling would be a challenge, even if parts are available.
The shifter is a Shimano SL-R440 9 speed flat bar shifter, which shifts a 9 speed 105 rear mech (I think it's 5500).

Will any Shimano 9 speed shifter work, or do MTB shifters have a different cable pull from those sold for flat bars?

gazza1286

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you felt something ‘go’ then it could be something has gone bust, in which case RJs video won’t help you much. Maybe worth removing the cover and seeing if you can fix it. Otherwise any 9 speed rh shifter will be fine. Shame as I’ve got one here doing nothing but the postage might be a bit heavy.

OP
OP
Mr Celine

Mr Celine

Discordian
If you felt something ‘go’ then it could be something has gone bust, in which case RJs video won’t help you much. Maybe worth removing the cover and seeing if you can fix it. Otherwise any 9 speed rh shifter will be fine. Shame as I’ve got one here doing nothing but the postage might be a bit heavy.

I'd already gone beyond what's done in that video in that I'd taken the cover off for a look inside it, de-gunked it with GT85 and re-greased it. There are two clock springs inside the shifter, the one which is lacking in pressure is inaccessible as it is underneath the rest of the assembly, which appears to be held together with a rivet. Even if it is possible to dismantle it without the parts flying off to distant corners of the garage reassambly would be a bigger challenge.

But if as you say any 9 speed shifter will work I can get a new Alivio shifter delivered from Chain Reaction for £15.

Top Bottom