Replacement for AyUp lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
After 6-7years my first AyUps have finally given up the ghost. I've invested quite heavily in the system over this time, with a spare light as a rear, a dozen or so spare mounts, several batteries, saxon caps, etc. - so I'm loath to change. But at this junctury, I'd at least like to consider alternatives before ordering a replacement from Oz (and PS I will be trying to replair them)

I basically want the same functions as Ayups. Namely -

- bright enough for unlit roads and a bit of off-road stuff, but I'm not bothered about the silly lumens armsrace. (I think Ayups vary between 400-700 lumens depending on the model).
- easily removable and swappable between bikes, easy availabiliy of spare mounts
- battery life to last a week of winter commuting (i.e. ~10hrs). Low power mode would be good too.
- small enough to bodge mounts wherever is required, fork crown, racks, seatpost

As a bonus, I'd like suitable road optics, so I can use em without pointing em at the floor.

Is there anything obvious? Or are Ayups still one of the better fits for the above. Sorry I'm being a bit lazy here, I generally google the hell out of new purchases, but for once I'd just like to press the button on Paypal.

After 6-7years my first AyUps have finally given up the ghost. I've invested quite heavily in the system over this time, with a spare light as a rear, a dozen or so spare mounts, several batteries, saxon caps, etc. - so I'm loath to change. But at this junctury, I'd at least like to consider alternatives before ordering a replacement from Oz (and PS I will be trying to replair them)

- bright enough for unlit roads and a bit of off-road stuff, but I'm not bothered about the silly lumens armsrace. (I think Ayups vary between 400-700 lumens depending on the model).
- easily removable and swappable between bikes, easy availabiliy of spare mounts
- battery life to last a week of winter commuting (i.e. ~10hrs). Low power mode would be good too.
- small enough to bodge mounts wherever is required, fork crown, racks, seatpost

As a bonus, I'd like suitable road optics, so I can use em without pointing em at the floor.

Is there anything obvious? Or are Ayups still one of the better fits for the above. Sorry I'm being a bit lazy here, I generally google the hell out of new purchases, but for once I'd just like to press the button on Paypal.
Just press the button on PayPal. Nothing ticks all the boxes like AyUps, I see they've now even got a decent zip bag for the kit rather than that silly orange box.
What broke on yours?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
With the caveat of battery life not being 10 hours , what you've asked for is a Cateye Volt or Smart 700. Both usb chargeable tho so if you"re office based, a day plugged into the computer or a couple of hours on charge in an evening at home twice a week and you're away. Mounts are readily available in high street bike stores for a couple of quid, bodging to forks etc is a piece of cake, both have H-M-L modes, Cateye Volts also have a dual steady/flash setting so could in theory be the single light on the bike if you wished that. The volt 300 on high beam is good enough for proper unlit road riding, the 700 is very good at it, the smart 700 too & while both are perfectly fine for consideration of not dazzling other drivers, I personally prefer the overall light throw of the Cateye over the Smart.

You can purchase replacement batteries for the Volt too or if you get a rear 50 as well, its discharge rate is significantly less (50 lumen output vs 300 or 700) and is interchangeable with both other head units.

Smart 700 & Volt 300 £30-40
Volt 700 £70+

All worth their respective costs IMO.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

I had a problem with mine which are about the same age, I contacted AYUP and I sent them back to them and they fixed them for free all I paid was the postage to send them there which wasnt very much.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
[QUOTE 3584590, member: 45"]What's wrong with the light? Have you contacted them about it? I've had excellent customer service from Ayup.[/QUOTE]

What broke on yours?

I had a problem with mine which are about the same age, I contacted AYUP and I sent them back to them and they fixed them for free all I paid was the postage to send them there which wasnt very much.

Gah, I wish I asked this earlier. The warranty is 5yrs so I assumed they wouldn't do this....

It looked like a loose connection inside the body of the light as they flickered for a short while before stopping for good. So I went and opened it up and yes there's a broken connection, although it looks very fiddly and needs someone who's a bit handy with a soldering iron.

I recommend the cateye volt range too. Got em cheap, two 300 front ones. one on my bars and one on helmet. I can't complain with battery life.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Gah, I wish I asked this earlier. The warranty is 5yrs so I assumed they wouldn't do this....

It looked like a loose connection inside the body of the light as they flickered for a short while before stopping for good. So I went and opened it up and yes there's a broken connection, although it looks very fiddly and needs someone who's a bit handy with a soldering iron.

Thats what was wrong with mine they stripped them down and I think they might have replaced the power socket and then emailed me to tell me they had already been sent back to me and said there was no charge so I was chuffed to say the least.

I also thought they wouldn't be covered under warranty as I think i got mine in 2008, AYUP are great and the lights are now back working as good as new I would definitely buy from them again no worries.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Thats what was wrong with mine they stripped them down and I think they might have replaced the power socket and then emailed me to tell me they had already been sent back to me and said there was no charge so I was chuffed to say the least.

I also thought they wouldn't be covered under warranty as I think i got mine in 2008, AYUP are great and the lights are now back working as good as new I would definitely buy from them again no worries.

I've emailed them today to ask. Also if they might upgrade them to the current model, I think they offered that for a time.

Having a look at the Volts I noticed they are quite chunky (compared to Ayups). Are they mounted solid enough when bouncing around off-road? It's not my main concern, but it's in there.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Well, I heard back from them today and AyUp no longer do non-warrenty repairs or upgrades. What they do have in place is a 25% loyalty bonus if you've previously bought a kit. Guess I do the maths on the cost and figure what I want to do.

Top Bottom