Replacement Fork Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CTony

Regular
Hello,What would be a good replacement fork for a older Dawes bicycle years 1950-55? Currently has 26x1 3/8 wheels.
Thank you.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t know off hand. Couldn’t you find a ‘scrapper’ and lift the fork?
Alternatively you might find some one on eBay. I’m sure @biggs682 would know which type. What model?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry @CTony . In California, in which case you're really going to find it difficult.
I think your only hope would be to find someone here who might be prepared to courier it to you. I wonder if @Gravity Aided could help you out, he has access to these types of spares, he's in the US but nowhere near California.

OP
OP
C

CTony

Regular
Sorry @CTony . In California, in which case you're really going to find it difficult.
I think your only hope would be to find someone here who might be prepared to courier it to you. I wonder if @Gravity Aided could help you out, he has access to these types of spares, he's in the US but nowhere near California.
Ok,Thank I’ll give it a try

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The reality is it doesnt matter too much so long as the steerer is long enough to pass through the head tube and assemble the headset.
The easiest option would be to take a fork from a scrap steel non-racing road frame, which might have been designed for 27" wheels. The worst case scenario is the replacement fork is half an inch taller between the axle dropouts and the crown race and you end up with a very slight upwards slope on the top tube towards the front. Your frame geometry would also slacken by about one degree. In reality, a 26" fork designed for 1 3/8" tyres and steel mudguards may not be that much difference in height to a 27" fork designed for 1 1/4" tyres and slimmer mudguards.

Top Bottom