Replacement front wheel required for old MTB - but what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Quando are a decent make of hub fitted to many budget bikes.
You'll need a cone spanner or preferably two to get into those nuts. Can't see if that end washer is threaded or not.
Those rubber shrouds are good at keeping water out as Pat says.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I did once buy a pair of cheap wheels with Quando hubs. They needed taking apart as they felt tight . There was hardly any grease in the bearings. Worth checking these when you get the nuts and cones undone.

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
It's not very often that I'm able to answer a question on the mechanics section :laugh: but I can tell you this for sure: leave the rubber bearings seal on the wheel, actually, protect those seals with your life ^_^
Thanks, I will.

Do you have a cone spanner and a ring spanner (cone spanner maybe 14mm, ring spanner 17mm?). I usually position them so the spanners are positioned to give a V which can be gripped with one hand and squeezed - this seems more effective than trying to use both hands
That's my normal method too and I tried it to no effect. However, my cone spanner is a small tool and offers little leverage so I bought another one with a longer handle and the "V" method did the trick - but it was overly tight! The cone spanner is 13mm.

Can't see if that end washer is threaded or not.
Not sure what you mean? There is a very thin washer on one side only (?) between the cone nut and the locknut. I don't see it's purpose but I can't see the harm in it either. The locknut has a serrated surface on it's outer face to 'bite' into the bike's front fork fixings - maybe the locknut looks like two separate components (i.e. locknut + washer) in the photo?

I did once buy a pair of cheap wheels with Quando hubs. They needed taking apart as they felt tight . There was hardly any grease in the bearings. Worth checking these when you get the nuts and cones undone.
Turns out the Quando bearings were not sealed so I generously greased the ball bearings - although they already had grease in them. Backing off the tightness has (almost) removed bearing rumble, though they still seem to have a little more friction than I'm used to (especially with the rubber cone seals in place) but that's not a deal breaker and I doubt I'll notice any difference when cycling.

Thanks to all posters - really appreciated your help.

Fastpedaller

You are probably already aware..... There should be a small amount of play in the bearings which is eliminated when the quick release compresses the axle. Those rubber seals are really good. I have similar Shimano hubs (MTB type non-disc) from 90's which despite riding on the beach and other off-road don't have any evidence within the grease!

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
I was just wondering if the serrated washer was threaded into the axle or just floating @Sham69
It looks like a separate serrated washer but it isn't - the serrated face is part of the locking nut.

You are probably already aware..... There should be a small amount of play in the bearings which is eliminated when the quick release compresses the axle.
Indeed so. Bit of trial and error needed but pleased with overall results. Very little bearing rumble/noise now the wheel's in place.

Those rubber seals are really good.
Never had them before on any of my bikes or on the 5 or 6 wheels I've purchased in the past, so they're new to me. They fit well so I can imagine they'd be pretty effective.

Overall, I'm happy with the wheel, considering it's low cost. Only issue is a seriously loud brake squeal! A first for me. Anyone know what causes it and how to reduce/remove it?
EDIT: I should add that I haven't changed the brake blocks and braking was silent when used with the old alloy wheel.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom