Replacement front wheel required for old MTB - but what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sham69

Über Member
Just spent much of the afternoon trying to source a replacement front wheel for my old GT Tequesta MTB (triple triangle frame, Suntour components, made in Taiwan circa 1985-90) and have become thoroughly confused with the overwhelming options available - and to a lesser extent, the terminology too.

Would be grateful for any guidance, especially links to suitable replacement wheels. The original front wheel is Araya 26x1.50HE RX-7 (if that helps) and the hub is Suntour QR with either "60" or "GD" stamped on the aluminium hub. Not fussed about rim colour matching (don't think I can afford to be) but I would prefer the replacement wheel not to be disc brake compatible and for the rim to be approx the same width as the original (measured at 26 - 27mm). Distance between the front forks is 95 - 100 mm. Thanks.

C R

Guru
Just spent much of the afternoon trying to source a replacement front wheel for my old GT Tequesta MTB (triple triangle frame, Suntour components, made in Taiwan circa 1985-90) and have become thoroughly confused with the overwhelming options available - and to a lesser extent, the terminology too.

Would be grateful for any guidance, especially links to suitable replacement wheels. The original front wheel is Araya 26x1.50HE RX-7 (if that helps) and the hub is Suntour QR with either "60" or "GD" stamped on the aluminium hub. Not fussed about rim colour matching (don't think I can afford to be) but I would prefer the replacement wheel not to be disc brake compatible and for the rim to be approx the same width as the original (measured at 26 - 27mm). Distance between the front forks is 95 - 100 mm. Thanks.

I think something like this would work,
https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/e...0&pm=1&ds=0&t=1653317146000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Have a look on Gumtree too, they often have MTB wheels on there. As with the recycling wheels pull the bearings out and re grease them and go over it with a spoke key to tighten any loose spokes.
If you can't be bothered with that Decathlon and Halfords should have 26" wheels with QR hubs off the shelf but the s/h will be better quality :smile: especially if Shimano hubs.

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction - most helpful. Can't find any local bicycle recycling projects and nothing locally on second hand websites that I can see. Don't mind paying up to around £50 for new so I looked at the WheelsOn and Tredz websites and found some that appear suitable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264053588397?hash=item3d7ad201ad:g:SNMAAOSw5r1cTCvw
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-All...DW-Rim-DT-SS-Spokes-26-Front-Wheel_234444.htm

I'm baffled by two aspects of the descriptions though. Could someone kindly explain the following:

What measurements do these two numbers (I assume the units are mm?) refer to? Double wall aluminium rim 559 x 19

And this guidance on suitable tyre sizes confuses me.

1669745136618.png Why is this rim unsuitable for 26x1 3/8 and 26x1 1/2 and 26x1 3/4 tyres when it's suitable for tyres 26x1.20 up to 26x2.35? (i.e. The range 26x1.2 up to 26x2.35 encompasses some of the tyre sizes that are listed as unsuitable). I don't get it.

Hope someone can clarify, thanks.

C R

Guru
Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction - most helpful. Can't find any local bicycle recycling projects and nothing locally on second hand websites that I can see. Don't mind paying up to around £50 for new so I looked at the WheelsOn and Tredz websites and found some that appear suitable:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-All...DW-Rim-DT-SS-Spokes-26-Front-Wheel_234444.htm

I'm baffled by two aspects of the descriptions though. Could someone kindly explain the following:

What measurements do these two numbers (I assume the units are mm?) refer to? Double wall aluminium rim 559 x 19

View attachment 669572 Why is this rim unsuitable for 26x1 3/8 and 26x1 1/2 and 26x1 3/4 tyres when it's suitable for tyres 26x1.20 up to 26x2.35? (i.e. The range 26x1.2 up to 26x2.35 encompasses some of the tyre sizes that are listed as unsuitable). I don't get it.

Tyre sizes are rather messy, but the bottom line is that the bead diameter of a 26x1.5 is not the same as the bead diameter of a 26x1 1/2 tyre.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Double wall means there are effectively two thickness of aluminium in the rim wall rather than the single wall cheaper type.
Again I'd recommend you take the axle out and pack the bearings with grease when you get it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

View attachment 669572 Why is this rim unsuitable for 26x1 3/8 and 26x1 1/2 and 26x1 3/4 tyres when it's suitable for tyres 26x1.20 up to 26x2.35? (i.e. The range 26x1.2 up to 26x2.35 encompasses some of the tyre sizes that are listed as unsuitable). I don't get it.

The 26 x 1 3/8 tyres etc expect a different rim size (I know), but don’t worry about it, for mtb you want the 1.75 type tyres anyway.

Reactions: C R

Fastpedaller

That's a good example of the perennial confusion of tyre size description. The best way (most accurate) is the ETRTO sizing, which few people quote. So any tyre with -559 is a match for your rim diameter. The first figure is the width, so 28-559 is a 28mm wide tyre to fir a 559 bead diameter rim. The width can also (but not usually :smile:) be an issue. As a general 'rule' the thinnest tyre should be no thinner than the rim width, and the fattest tyre no more than 1.7 x rim width.

S

Sprocket Cycles were doing Mavic Crossride 26" for under £50. I put them on my 90s MTB and been great.

OP
OP
S

Sham69

Über Member
Double wall means there are effectively two thickness of aluminium in the rim wall rather than the single wall cheaper type.

Yes, I'm aware of that, having used Mavic double wall rims at 700C size on both tourer and hybrid cycles in the past. Not purchased any MTB rims/wheels before - haven't needed to because my MTB doesn't do high mileage. Agree with your point about greasing bearings - to my shame, I neglected to maintain the bearings in my current MTB front wheel hence the need for a new wheel.

Regarding pre-owned wheels...
All the photos of pre-owned MTB front wheels I've seen look grim and make me think the wheel hasn't been maintained properly. Even my knackered wheel looks better than the photos of the pre-owned examples, so I'm not going to risk a second hand purchase - thanks for the links and suggestions anyway.

Tyre sizes are rather messy, but the bottom line is that the bead diameter of a 26x1.5 is not the same as the bead diameter of a 26x1 1/2 tyre.

The 26 x 1 3/8 tyres etc expect a different rim size (I know), but don’t worry about it, for mtb you want the 1.75 type tyres anyway.

That's a good example of the perennial confusion of tyre size description.

Good grief, what a mess!

I currently have a 1.75" tyre fitted so wish to utilise that on the new wheel. However, rim widths of current 26" MTB wheels I've seen so far have been quite narrow at 25mm (outer surface to outer surface of rim) and if I stick to a max. tyre width of 1.7x rim width, that's only 1.7 x 25 = 42.5mm or 1.67", so a 1.75" tyre is outside the recommended range (only just mind). The outer rim width of my current knackered wheel is 26.5mm (as measured with a vernier caliper) so 1.7 x 26.5mm = 45.05 or 1.77" which is just within the recommended range.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what a 1.75 tyre is?

Never mind your wheel woes. Let's have a look at her.
Sorry, no photos.

Spa Cycles will build a 26" wheel

Sprocket Cycles were doing Mavic Crossride 26" for under £50. I put them on my 90s MTB and been great.
Haven't found anything from Sprocket or Spa Cycles in my price range (up to £50).

Top Bottom