Replacement left hand crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There have been problems with it coming loose especially after refitting due to the high torque required to properly secure it, causing damage. Google it for more information.
i believe it has now been discontinued.

silva

Über Member
There have been problems with it coming loose especially after refitting due to the high torque required to properly secure it, causing damage. Google it for more information.
i believe it has now been discontinued.
If I interpreted correctly - not a design problem but a problem when fit/refit by people not knowing/not caring enough?
I moved from square taper to octalink (for another reason) and had this done in a bicycle shop so should (...) be done properly.
I have an old bike from this shop/same guy with octalink 2 (hollowtech), never (10 years) got a problem.
Though new since then is that I ride fixed gear so cranks get pushed in both directions.
Maybe it's an idea to check the cranks now and then, better to discover when it's still rideable.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"Don’t be tempted to buy a Octalink chainset" says @Cycleops
Reasons for the latter are?
To reiterate Phil: because the OP has a square taper bottom bracket and one would have trouble fitting an Octalink chainset (obv).:okay:
Octalink is a splined fitting so not compatible with what you have.
Also who (apart from you, @silva chooses to install Octalink, even Octalink 2)?
"In use, Octalink has been shown to loosen because it is not a taper-fit but merely a tight spline fit. Reverse torque loads can cause the crank bolt to undo, and the crank can be irreparably damaged if this is not checked. "
1587201308092.png

The Octalink system uses a spindle with eight splines. The splines provide a contact area between crank and spindle for an interface. Octalink exists in the marketplace in two variants, Octalink v1, and Octalink v2.
And from @Yellow Saddle :
"Octalink was a spectacular failure and even a redesign of the first version didn't solve the problem. Octalink (1) had splines which were too short and Octalink (2) attempted to fix the failures with longer splines but Shimano's engineers under estimated the amount of lash in the splines which were enough to loosen the bolt and allow the splines to slip.
This problem was exacerbated by how easy it was to botch the installation. The entry into the splines was blind (you couldn't see the right way to put it in and had to guess) as well as press-fit. This means a poor start of the fitment could not be detected early on and one would just start cranking up the bolt, eating away the soft aluminium crank."

silva

Über Member
If interpreted correctly, the core of the problem is that there is no compensation for any tolerance (= the job of the taper of square taper), is that right?
Your reverse torque is my case since I resist pedals/cranks to slow down.
I rode 10 years with an Octalink II ("HollowTech"), but most of the time as singlespeed only a couple years as fixed gear.
But my question remains: IS the problem avoidable by a careful installation? And maybe some "tricks" alike Loctite? Or is the problem arrival, regardless care at installation time, sooner or later, unavoidable?

My last bike was after crank breakages converted to Octalink 1, I wanted 2 but the chainline didn't allow that. Since I had good experience with Octa 2, and didn't suffer the chain tension variation that plagues me since the bikes purchase, I wanted to see if it would be gone with Octa 2. For sure is that Octa 1 didn't make any difference.

the snail

Guru
Another problem with octalink is that the larger spindle means there is less room for the bearings than ST, which is why the external bearing HT2 was developed. There's really not much to recommend octalink as a design.

gbb

Legendary Member
Top Bottom