Replacement rear wheel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for a 10-speed 700c rear wheel that supports rim brakes.

I've a nice carbon road bike that's sat on a turbo for a number of years because the freehub is dead and as such, is fit only for turbo duty, but with the nice weather coming out to play the workhorse Triban has less appeal.

Normally I would go for a Mavic Aksium but with Mavic's troubles and general shortages I'm struggling to find any - I can only find them as a wheelset.
Plus, I have now killed a number of Aksium hubs, so I am happy to look elsewhere, but rim brake wheels are also becoming increasingly rare.

Given that I'm at my heaviest and least fit in years, wheel weight is less of a concern than it once was, and anything north of £200 is beyond my budget.

Cheers,
Ed

Zanelad

Guru
Why not get one handbuilt. I've bought them for my last 4 bikes. I'm on the heavy side and standard wheels soon go out of true. Not had an issue with the hand built ones. A cheap pair for the winter hybrid were under £200 and the rather more swish ones have not gone above £400

OP
OP
E

Edwardoka

The problems with handbuilt wheels are that a) you need to know what to ask for and b) you have to be able to trust that the person who built the wheel did a good job.

The problem with handbuilt wheels from spa is that they currently have a 4 week lead time :sad:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The problems with handbuilt wheels are that a) you need to know what to ask for and b) you have to be able to trust that the person who built the wheel did a good job.

The problem with handbuilt wheels from spa is that they currently have a 4 week lead time :sad:
Might be worth phoning to check. They put hand builts on my titanium Sabbath and they are lovely.

Top Bottom