Replacement Road Brake Blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been using the Koolstop "dual-compound" (part black, part salmon) for a while. I think they are only available for cantis though. Hard to beat IMO

I'm with Pete here - the dual compound are best :smile: Try SJS Greg, and have a chat with them...or Spa?

Where did you get the pads for your Solo Luke? Again :rolleyes: If you told me I got memory loss innit! Post an exact linky this time pls. Ta.

Oh and a PPS Greg - I am trying some Decathlon brakepads at the moment - MTB ones on the S/S. Seem to work ok. :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
hi just bumping a thread, are the koolstop blacks harder wearing than the salmons
Yes, but that means they're harder on your rims too.
, is the salmon softer and does it prevent squeaking, which i often get from front wheel braking
Yes, and possibly - toeing in properly can help with squeaking too.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
thanks. do you have any idea what kind of rims a halfords apollo bike would have ? its not expensive. i assume the cheapest. is that aluminium ?

Almost certainly aluminium - at one time cheap bikes had steel - these are easy to spot, because the bike is impossible to stop once the rims are wet...

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've ordered some from dot bike; shoes fitted with kool stop dual compound with a spare pair of salmon inc the deal

until then the new bike stays in the shed.

prbikey

great thankyou. if i bought brake blocks designed for alloy rims, would these work on alumin. rims ? (noob questions...)

just a crazy question. with the slide-on brake pads. if you are pushing the bike backwards at the time and brake, take it the pads wont slide out of the holders ?

They'll be fine pr. There is a distinction for brake blocks for some wheels - those made of carbon fibre for example. The 'Koolstop' of which there has been mention here, are generally felt to be the best pads (particularly the salmon ones) for all of us general purpose maniacs! Visit a site to see the range available. 'SwissStop' are another manufacturer who are 'on top of the braking game' - but at quite a high price. After riding regularly, you'll learn your brakes, and know what you need. As a heavy lump of person rolling down a hill, I need something which adds to my confidence. (Doesn't help my steering ability, but I'm confident ploughing into a hedge etc) :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
great thankyou. if i bought brake blocks designed for alloy rims, would these work on alumin. rims ? (noob questions...)
Yep - alloy is often used to mean "aluminium" in this context. DON'T buy pads for ceramic, or carbon rims.
just a crazy question. with the slide-on brake pads. if you are pushing the bike backwards at the time and brake, take it the pads wont slide out of the holders ?
Most have a retention mechanism to stop that - on road pads, there's a little grub screw at the back, on V brake type pads, there's a sprung pin that fits in the back. I do use the brake + roll back trick to take old pads out, mind.

Perhaps someone could help me with something.

What Koolstop pads can be used with Sora brakes?

I currently have Koolstop dual compound pads on my V-Brakes but want to change to Koolstops on my new road bikes' Sora caliper brakes.

Thanks.

Wobblers

Euthermic
hi just bumping a thread, are the koolstop blacks harder wearing than the salmons, is the salmon softer and does it prevent squeaking, which i often get from front wheel braking ? thanks

The KoolStop Salmons may be softer, but they still last a very long time. I've yet to wear a set out, and that's after close to 3000 miles on the Yukon and over 2000 miles on the Galaxy. Koolstops do have something of a reputation for brake squeal - though ime they're not that bad.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Perhaps someone could help me with something.

What Koolstop pads can be used with Sora brakes?

I currently have Koolstop dual compound pads on my V-Brakes but want to change to Koolstops on my new road bikes' Sora caliper brakes.

Thanks.

The kool stops I just got, the shimano compatible ones, look, at a glance, like the pads will fit sora. and if they don't just buy the holders like I did. then you know for sure.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fitted the shoes with the black/salmon dual compound pads, will keep the salmon pads until next winter I think.

OMG. what a difference, eyeball popping braking.

full chapter and verse on Kool Stops from Harris Cycle here

scouserinlondon

Fitted the shoes with the black/salmon dual compound pads, will keep the salmon pads until next winter I think.

OMG. what a difference, eyeball popping braking.

full chapter and verse on Kool Stops from Harris Cycle here

Cheers for the heads up, just ordered one set to try them out on my new road bike. I've really noticed the shitness of rim brakes having moved from a hybrid with discs, so hopefully these bad boys will improve matters.

If you've got one set what's the advice, front or back?

Top Bottom