Replacement Road Brake Blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tectro Long Drops. R538's or some such.

Apparently a perfectly good brake if you dump the original blocks. Happy to dump therm but then the brakes will be worse surely?

So what do 'you lot' reckon is the best replacement blocks for someone big, heavy, and fond of stopping? Preferably available from an on line retailer or Halfrauds. If I ever go in the lbs near where I work again it will be too soon.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Koolstop. Salmon on the front, black on the back.

Best brake blocks ever.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Another vote for KoolStop Salmons. Such a difference when I swapped over to them on my Galaxy (Deore LX cantis) - from hopeless to actually being able to stop me. And they work in the wet! They're long lasting too - I removed the ones on my VN Yukon after 2600 miles and the were still only half worn, so they're now on the rear.

They're available in Wiggle or, more cheaply, Spa Cycles.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Koolstop. Salmon on the front, black on the back.

Best brake blocks ever.

+1 for this setup. One thing to be aware of with them though in the wet. Koolstops are designed to flush the water from the rims so when you first pull them they are just like any other block (largely ineffective) but then they can really bite once they've got the water off the rim

potsy

Rambler
+1 for this setup. One thing to be aware of with them though in the wet. Koolstops are designed to flush the water from the rims so when you first pull them they are just like any other block (largely ineffective) but then they can really bite once they've got the water off the rim

Nearly caught me out on my 1st wet ride with them, pulled the lever-nothing happened, just as I started to wonder why they were so well thought of they 'bit' will be keeping them on all year round now.
Also they seem to be wearing a lot better than expected, still plenty of life left after 4 or 5 months.

scouserinlondon

How did I miss this thread!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've been using the Koolstop "dual-compound" (part black, part salmon) for a while. I think they are only available for cantis though. Hard to beat IMO

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Ashima road pads and shoes (and just replace the pads in future, about a fiver a pair)

Not too expensive either.

U

User482

Kool stop salmon here too. Though I've noticed that my shimano long-drop callipers are noticeably less powerful than the standard shimano callipers on my other bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Pete, you can get Dual Compound Koolstops for road brakes - I use them on my SCR2.0.

As others have said, Koolstops (salmons are more rim friendly, but wear quickly), Fibrax' Koolstop-a-like (dual compound or salmon, both of which are very good). A few folk on the Surly LHT group on google have recommended BBB tri-stops very highly, although I've not tried them myself.

GrasB

Veteran
Swisstop GHP2 are no where near as good as the old GHP in terms of ultimate power, but they're more consistent across wet & dry conditions, problem is I ride faster into corners in the dry than wet so I want better brakes in the dry. When I wear out my GHP2s I'll be looking for something else.

prbikey

hi just bumping a thread, are the koolstop blacks harder wearing than the salmons, is the salmon softer and does it prevent squeaking, which i often get from front wheel braking ? thanks

Top Bottom