Replacement Spoke won't tighten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Trying to replace a broken spoke. Spoke has gone through the hub, nipple in place, there is not a problem with the threading because I've taken it and tried it. Seems like it is just a mm too short to make the initial contact to begin screwing in. Any ideas anyone?
20181215_094103.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have you threaded it through the other spokes correctly and is it definitely the same length as the other spokes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The photo is blurred but it looks as if it's too short, assuming it's straight - all the thread is exposed.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Bloke in LBS took old (snapped!) one as a guide, but look at pic below to judge for yourselves.
20181215_100032.jpg

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
On reflection (no pun intended!) It's probably not long enough is it? Just in comparison to other spokes, they have no thread exposed at all and this one would still have plenty I reckon, if it ever did screw in.

Attachments

• 20181215_112829.jpg
    20181215_112829.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
It's hard to be precise, but I held the base of the spoke close to spot of another on the hub and then took this pic of the rim ends for comparison. Seems to be clearly shorter, but surely 700c spokes are all standard length aren't they? Or am I missing something?
20181215_113721.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Seems to be clearly shorter, but surely 700c spokes are all standard length aren't they? Or am I missing something?

700c spokes are not all the same length. The depth and width of the rim and hub all affect the length that you need. Put your measurements into a spoke length calculator then go back to your LBS and tell him what you need or buy one and a couple of spares from SJS.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
700c spokes are not all the same length. The depth and width of the rim and hub all affect the length that you need. Put your measurements into a spoke length calculator then go back to your LBS and tell him what you need or buy one and a couple of spares from SJS.
Who knew that getting the correct length of spoke actually helps? All sorted, thanks everyone.

Top Bottom