replacement tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terryox

Regular
looking for advice on replacement tyres currently have 700c x 23c kendra fitted to carrera, people saying change these straight away..... had them on for 3 months will this make a huge difference .......... thanks for help people

vickster

Legendary Member
looking for advice on replacement tyres currently have 700c x 23c kendra fitted to carrera, people saying change these straight away..... had them on for 3 months will this make a huge difference .......... thanks for help people
It won't make a difference really (well depending on what you actually mean by difference?) - they maybe aren't great in terms of puncture protection, but if you're happy with this aspect (ie not getting numerous punctures), leave as is (who is saying to change and why?)

A 28mm tyre will be more comfortable on rough roads if you have the ability to fit on those wheels in that frame

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
What reasons are you being given for changing them?

Must admit the I had a pair of Kendo Kriteriums on my giant bowery when I bought it. They didn't stay very long, but I can't remember why I changed them. Think I lost confidence in them for their grip round corners.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Kenda are a budget brand fitted to many budget bikes. If you've had them on for 3 months without punctures you're doing well.
Better more expensive tyres will be more puncture proof and maybe ride better with more grip under different road conditions plus last longer.
Fitting 28c tyres will improve comfort if you have sufficient frame clearance but if they don't try 25c. I know my vintage racer runs smoothly on 28s.
Tread pattern or lack of it will have no effect on grip.
This site will help you choose a good puncture proof tyre that still rolls well:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

BTW welcome to the forum :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

terryox

Regular
Thanks Folks ....... comfort was main issue and cornering / grip. Not had any issues with punctures in 3 months and about 150 miles total.
will look at options out there and try a 28mm ......

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Folks ....... comfort was main issue and cornering / grip. Not had any issues with punctures in 3 months and about 150 miles total.
will look at options out there and try a 28mm ......
Dropping the tyre pressure might help a bit (not enough to get pinch punctures if course)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
depends also if you can 28s on, you might be limited to 25s if the clearances are tight .
I run 25s on my carrera commuter and they are good compromise.

Top Bottom