Replacement wheels for Boardman hybrid team bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leighf

I would welcome any help from members.

I bought the above bike via the cycle to work scheme to commute to work (15 mile each way) 4 years ago.

I have now retired and have used the bike during lockdown cycling around the local countryside for 1 to 2 hours about 4 or 5 times a week.
I like the bike and it has kept me fit and sane during lockdown.
Not all the roads are in good condition and I am not worried if l am regularly overtaken by younger fitter cyclists.

The gears keep slipping and Halfords tell me the rear hub is knackered and I need a new back wheel.

The problem is finding a suitable replacement back wheel or set of wheels.

The current wheels are disc-specific Mavic XM319 wheelset – which do not seem to be available.

Can anyone help with suggestions for replacing the wheel or wheel as Halfords cannot find a replacement.
I was hoping to pay a maximum of £150 for one rear wheel or £250 for a set.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Any 700c disc brake wheel set should do, one that takes a QR presumably
eg for £170 ish a pair
https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-alex-cx28-chosen-cx-disc-wheels-700c-81721.html

Milkfloat

An Peanut
First of all, take your bike to a proper shop for diagnosis. It is quite possible that the chain and cassette are worn, not that the freehub is knackered. Can you explain 'gears slipping' a little more?

OP
OP
L

Leighf

Thanks for the comments I will check the merlin ones
The gears slipping means that it will not go into the top gear and the cassette was wobbling and the hub was deemed to be the issue.
It has a new chain as that was worn according to Halfords and this happened after that so that should not have been the problem.
Unfortunately I bought the Halfords silver warranty when I bought the bike and renewed it so have used them
Thinking of writing that off now though

One of the problems is that the current wheels are I think 25-28 width and it is difficult finding them that size so might need to get wider ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the comments I will check the merlin ones
The gears slipping means that it will not go into the top gear and the cassette was wobbling and the hub was deemed to be the issue.
It has a new chain as that was worn according to Halfords and this happened after that so that should not have been the problem.
Unfortunately I bought the Halfords silver warranty when I bought the bike and renewed it so have used them
Thinking of writing that off now though

One of the problems is that the current wheels are I think 25-28 width and it is difficult finding them that size so might need to get wider ones.
The Merlin ones are 28

Top Bottom