Replacement wheels for GT Grade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dennetti

Does anyone have any replacement 28 inch wheels for a GT Grade please? I am after something stronger than the originals. Anything considered, including just a rear wheel. I am 10 stone, and ride mostly bumpty off-road trails. Thanks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Which Grade is it? Early ones were 15mm thru axle on the front and standard quick release rear (maybe the most basic model was QR Fr and Rr). Later models I think have gone thru axle at both ends.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Sorry, not sure of the exact model as I bought it second hand. It's the aliminium frame model, with Quick Release Alexrims 28 inch wheels, which appear to buckle quite easily. Hope, that helps. Cheers

If they buckle under a 10-stone rider, even off-road, they are poor indeed. Given that getting anything second-hand is difficult at the moment, check sites like Taylor Wheels in Germany. Not too expensive, even including quickish delivery.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks for the replies. They're the bolted disc type. thanks for recommendation. That's a great reduction on price, but probably a bit pricy for the two wheels. I've read that the OEM are pretty terrible so rather than getting them straightened, I thought I'd go ahead and replace. Cheers

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you’ll struggle to get a quality pair for less than that.

lane

Veteran
If they buckle under a 10-stone rider, even off-road, they are poor indeed.

Yes they are they are crap - or were in my experience. I didn't even do off road really and was over 12 stone but had a number of broken spokes and had to have the wheels rebuilt. I was just going to buy some handmade wheels due to no end of problems when my GT Grade was stolen. I replaced it with a bike from Spa with some handmade Spa wheels and have had no problems whatsoever since. The consensus was it was the cheap Alex rims which were the culprit.

Can't help with any wheels but good luck.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks again for the advice, and sorry for the late reply. I'll bear in mind the spoke count you recommend, and see what I can find.

Nibor

Bewildered
You don’t say if you need rim or disc ( centre lock or bolted) , I’m assuming disc type but I’ve had good results from basic Shimano wheels which seem to handle the dreadful roads down here. These are reduced at Evans but are centre lock disc:
https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano...mpatible-disc-brake-700c-front-wheel-EV310919
If I was looking to spend that kind of money you could get something handbuilt and bomb proof like these https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s17...uilt-Wheelset-Shimano-LX-with-H-Plus-SON-rims

Top Bottom