Replacement wheels for triban rc520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I've had my Triban RC520 for a year now, and it's been a really good experience so far. I've added mudguards and a rear rack, and now plan to undertake a multi-day tour in Europe come the Spring.

However, I had my first puncture last week and getting the tyre off the wheel was difficult but getting it back on was much, much worse - it took about an hour. This was bad enough in the comfort of my kitchen, but potentially in the pouring rain miles from anywhere doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm seriously considering swapping the wheels. Has anyone done this, and what did you go for?

Thanks

Lose the mudguards, they are very very risky at this time of the year. As for wheels, I’d go for something from Mavic, possibly Aksiums or Cosmic elites. If they insist on supplying tubeless, run them with tubes, as tubeless road tyres are a woeful idea.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I definitely won't be using tubeless - whatever their merits of prefer to stick to something familiar. Will look into aksium and cosmic elite wheels - thanks for the suggestions.

I'm intrigued about the mudguards. By coincidence I removed the fixed mudguards and tried raceblades for the first time. Came home covered in road muck (it was raining this morning) so resolved to put the fixed ones back on. Why are they dangerous? I've never had a bike without mudguards and aside from the sheer ugliness of them, never had a problem. Fwiw I've been using Kinesis Fend-off mudguards, which are aluminium.

Regards

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Will also look at the Open Pro wheels. I should add that neither the wheels or the tyres seem particularly limiting; it's just grotesquely difficult to remove and refit the tyres.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I run folding Schwalbe G-ones on Magic Aksiums and have no problems with taking them off and putting them on, can do it without using levers, just using my thumbs!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Lose the mudguards, they are very very risky at this time of the year.
How so? Surely this is the time of year when they are of most use.

I definitely won't be using tubeless - whatever their merits of prefer to stick to something familiar. Will look into aksium and cosmic elite wheels - thanks for the suggestions.

I'm intrigued about the mudguards. By coincidence I removed the fixed mudguards and tried raceblades for the first time. Came home covered in road muck (it was raining this morning) so resolved to put the fixed ones back on. Why are they dangerous? I've never had a bike without mudguards and aside from the sheer ugliness of them, never had a problem. Fwiw I've been using Kinesis Fend-off mudguards, which are aluminium.

Regards
I really don’t like close fitting mudguards on road bikes. I’ve seen a few people get quite seriously hurt, when they’ve crashed because something as small as an acorn sized stone has wedged between the tyre and mudguard. Despite the breakaway tab, they still ended up in a heap, with all sorts of pretty serious injuries. Not an isolated case either. I use a seat post mounted mudguard on my hybrid, which stands well clear of the rear wheel, and a seat mounted ass saver, on my road bikes. They work well, from preventing the ‘dysentery stripe of shame’, without adding a big risk.

How so? Surely this is the time of year when they are of most use.
It’s also the time of year you’re most likely to get something you didn’t see jamming between the mudguard and tyre, on account of the visibility / light conditions being reduced, sending you to the deck, before you’ve even realised what’s happened.

I run folding Schwalbe G-ones on Magic Aksiums and have no problems with taking them off and putting them on, can do it without using levers, just using my thumbs!
The Schwalbe tyres are typically a bit easier to work with, particularly with Mavic rims IME, than some other tyre / rim combo’s.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It’s also the time of year you’re most likely to get something you didn’t see jamming between the mudguard and tyre, on account of the visibility / light conditions being reduced, sending you to the deck, before you’ve even realised what’s happened.
Thanks for your concern but it's a risk/benefit ratio I and many others are prepared to accept.

Stammers

I’m planning on buying the RC520 when the world returns to normal and I can use my cyclescheme voucher.
I initially wanted the gravel version but it’s out of stock, so thinking of getting the RC520 then buying new wheels with gravel tyres, in particular the G-Ones in 38mm.
Looking at the Mavic Aksium it says it only takes tyres up to 32mm.
I’m new to cycling so just wanted to check if this is straightforward to do?

thanks

Top Bottom