Replacement Wheels/Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mdscycle

Hi,

I'm just starting to get into cycling and some of my routes are road based and some are a mixture of gravel/mud. For the road based ones I'd like to have some wheels that I can swap to easily as the tyres I have on now slow me down quite a bit on a road. I have a Carrera Vengeance 2011 with 26" wheels, can anyone recommend a complete set of wheels & tyres that I could use to swap easily via the quick release? I don't need anything expensive so just good value for money will do.

Thanks,
Mark

Crandoggler

Well, first step is to find some 'slick' MTB tyres, like Michelin wild Run'r. Can get a pair for around £30

Merlin have a set of MTB wheels for sale for £41.95 - so around £70 all said and done.

You're better off asking in the MTB section though.

outlash

also available in orange
Why do you need new wheels for? Changing tyres isn't a big deal and if you value your drivetrain, you'd swap the cassette over too. Just get some semi slick tyres, a decent set like Schwalbe Sammy Slicks are good enough on road and off unless it's really muddy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, no need for separate wheels. Just fit some commuter type tyres or on/off road tyres with a cross hatched tread pattern and edge knobs and you'll find them adequate for tarmac, mud or gravel. Big knobbles are over-rated and you can ride most regular off road stuff with a commuter tread.

Realising this made a big difference to our times and scores on a 7 hour Polaris event when my brother and I used to do them. After a few events I found my ideal all-purpose tyre, it was called a Crossroads and I had a central ridge, on which the tyre rolled on tarmac and small edge grips that worked when the tyre sank into a soft surface. It was about 1.4" wide so it had good ground pressure and sank down well in mud to find grip. It was fast off road and on; the only penalty was that it was a little harsh off road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom