replacent bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I have just bought a used bike that has many rusted bolts on it. rather than having to order individual bolts for each part is there such a thing as a bolt kit that contains common sizes used on bikes. Preferably non rust bolts like stainless steel

The most common sizes in use are M4-M5-M6.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"is there such a thing as a bolt kit that contains common sizes used on bikes"
No
This is a common problem (I often wish I could swap out the rusty looking bolts of acquired bikes) but not only are these bolts mostly gauges as above but they are different lengths too. And there's a wide range of differences between makes/models making a 'bolt kit' rather difficult to design/market. Worth taking particular care on bolts with a safety function eg stem bolts, brake clamp bolts

gbb

Legendary Member
Possibly the best way to get the ones you want...and not the ones you don't, is to spend a little time, remove and measure the ones you want to replace, refit temporarily until you can source the correct replacements
An example on ebay
M5x16 button head stainless Steel screws, £1.39 (10) postage free. It's a no brainer.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I buy all mine on ebay

@gbb the prior stock issue is fixed by filtering on instock only but the latter is annoying especially if it is “Key” word search and gives you seatpost collars, seatposts, seatpost bolts etc instead of what you searched for.

Reactions: C R

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No great help but in Lerwick in Shetland there is or was an establishment called The Nut House. When I was there last they had what seemed like every conceivable nut and bolt in stock.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Assuming it's a relatively modern bike (less that 30 years old say) then it'll all be metric. A box of m4 and m5 various lengths cap screws (ie allen key) in A2 grade stainless will cover pretty much every need. Unlike the
original cross head screws made of cheese these should be better all round.

silva

Über Member
There is a city about 20 km from my living place, it has a perifery of neighborhoods with foreigners, those dump ALOT stuff / garbage, bicycle (alot!), children buggies (alot!) and step wreckage (usually looking like they hit a wall), wherever they can, every weekend day I do a tour along known places, I always have tools with me, to collect the bolts nuts screws washers etc. For nothing, just time and alittle work.
About stainless, I started to refrain using these after seeing alu dissolved to white powder and thread giving too much play (ex Magura brake mount bolts through fork tubes) too much times. I use steel ones and keep these greased / oiled. In the case of rare to never disassembling, I put silicone over them.

Top Bottom