Replacing a 2011 Tricross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Thinking of replacing my 2011 Tricross when I can do a fresh C2W later this year. Nothing particularly wrong with the Tricross except I find the performance of the cantilever brakes to be pretty woeful - scary at times. So I'd like to upgrade to something with hydraulic disk brakes, about £1000, comfortable on tarmac and forest trails. Also, I'm a weakling rather attached to the triple ring on the Tricross to help me up the steep hill to my home so good low gearing is important.

I'm considering the Boardman ADV 8.9 - https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-adv-8-9-mens-adventure-bike

Any thoughts? Anyone got one? Any other options?

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Don't discount a mechanical disc brake.

The Spyres on my Kona commuter are excellent and after 2000 miles are bedded in nicely, giving confidence inspiring stopping power in all conditions. They are not as face-plantingly powerful as the hydraulic Ultegra brakes on my other road bike, but they are more than adequate and the big advantage is that they work with any standard shifter (Tiagra 10spd in my case) so you get a much wider choice of groupset and the brake/shifter body is much nicer in the hand compared to some of the bulkier hydraulic options (Ultegra isn't bad but the 105 ones I had before were unpleasant if I am honest).

You will also get more bike for your money with mech disc brakes as less of the budget will be blown on the hydraulic element, which in the case of some of the cheaper options might be mediocre at best.....

crossfire

Thinking of replacing my 2011 Tricross when I can do a fresh C2W later this year. Nothing particularly wrong with the Tricross except I find the performance of the cantilever brakes to be pretty woeful - scary at times. So I'd like to upgrade to something with hydraulic disk brakes, about £1000, comfortable on tarmac and forest trails. Also, I'm a weakling rather attached to the triple ring on the Tricross to help me up the steep hill to my home so good low gearing is important.

I'm considering the Boardman ADV 8.9 - https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-adv-8-9-mens-adventure-bike

Any thoughts? Anyone got one? Any other options?

I have just replaced the cantilever brakes on my Scott Timber with Clarkes V brake kit (£25 from Halfords) - what a difference, very similar to the discs on my carrera crossfire. Easy swap, all inclusive levers, cables, pads and arms, and a straight swap. A new bike is nice, but this might give more life to the Tricross as a second bike.
John

mynydd

Veteran
sorry, only just seen this... not logged in for a while. I did precicely this about six months ago...... swapped my Tricross for a Boardman adv 8.9. mainly because I too was fed up of not being able to stop on my downhill commute in the mornings... this brakes are awful aren't they!?
I've been pretty happy... braking is another level, and the pads are easy to change. only slight drawback is its not as good on the climb home... its a bit of a heavy beast. I stuck a 34 on the back in the end. and all things considered the positives outweigh the negatives.
regarding mudguards I just stuck some race blades on... the ones that attach via rubber straps (I forget the exact model, but they're fine)

Top Bottom