Replacing a bike chain that snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I am trying to replace my bike chain as my previous one snapped off.

I think I have a 10 speed bike and the chain was 138cm when I measured the chain.

Should I also order a quick link, as I am trying to fix this issue the most simplistic way possible. I have never replaced a chain previously.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

BS

View: https://youtu.be/2fzseMkHKw8

ruffers

Veteran
I used a quick link and been great so far 🤞🏻really easy to use.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You'll need to order a quick link to close the chain as far as I'm aware chains are not supplied with a quick link. You might consider ordering an extra quick link to carry with you when you're out cycling. This way you can effect the repair by the roadside.

If you're unsure if the bike is 10 speed or not simply count the number of cogs on the rear cassette. That number is the speed.

adamhearn

Veteran
Grab a KMC chain and it'll come with a quick link (yes, they're a good thing to use).

Measure chain in links and then buy nearest in size (larger). You will likely have to shorten the new chain and for that you'll need a chain tool (or something to cleanly pop out the pin). Quick links require you to have to 'inner' ends to join.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a 10 speed bike and the chain was 138cm when I measured the chain.
Should I also order a quick link
As Ian says: both SRAM and KMC chains come with a quicklink. They are normally about 1447mm long so you'll have to have bought a chain tool/splitter (recommended in your chain-parting thread) to take off (probably) 2 (one inch) links. To ensure you get the length correct (don't assume that 138cm was the right length unless you fitted it yourself), pass the new chain round the large chainring and the largest sprocket, and not through the RD cage, and that, plus one inch is the length of chain you need. Split the chain, thread it through (back triangle and RD cage) and then join it with a quick link. And ride on.

Mr Celine

Discordian
You'll need to order a quick link to close the chain as far as I'm aware chains are not supplied with a quick link. You might consider ordering an extra quick link to carry with you when you're out cycling. This way you can effect the repair by the roadside.
What type of chains are you buying? :wacko:

It's at least 15 years since I bought a chain that didn't come with a quick link and that was a Shimano chain which was supplied with a joining pin.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

It's at least 15 years since I bought a chain that didn't come with a quick link and that was a Shimano chain which was supplied with a joining pin.
Usually my LBS replaces the chain when it's in for a service and then on the annual cassette change. No idea what the chains are, I simply trust the LBS.

C R

Guru

Shimano chains still come with a joining pin, I think only ultegra chains come with a quick link.

Top Bottom