Replacing a Campagnolo Zonda spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
Hi,

on my way into work this morning I heard that horrible ping that meant only one thing,a broken spoke. The issue is I have replaced many spokes over the years but I have a set of Campagnolo Zondas that have a sealed rim. I believe you need to use the supplied magnet (placed carefully in my spares box at home) that came with the wheels to remove the old nipple and locate the new one.

I have emailed wiggle initially as the wheels are only 10 weeks old and hope they do the right thing and agree this isn't good and I get a straight swap. If not I have located a local dealer who should have a spare or a spoke kit pack and will have a crack at doing it myself and wonder if anyone has any experience of this?

Thankfully it was drive side so I still able to ride it into work and also have my spare wheels at a mates 5 minutes from work so I will be popping there after work to swap the wheel and cassette over at 4pm.

Any advice is gratefully received as I can't access Youtube at work and would like a plan of action before I leave work this afternoon. Cheers

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Wait to see what wiggle say. The bespoke spokes for Zondas are pretty expensive IIRC, and no doubt they'll fix it for free.

Leodis

Veteran
I had to have a Zonda spoke replaced. I went through Evans who had to order it via head office sign off, it arrived, they couldnt do it for one reason for another and sent the wheel itself to Campagnolo and they rebuilt the wheel... Wheel returned 6 weeks later at cost of £54

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Well I have looked at the wheel in detail now as Wiggle asked for photos. It seems that on the drive side of the rear wheel the spokes are kept in place in a slot via tension. It looks as either foot of the spoke has failed and/or the slot it sits in has failed either way I hope for a replacement as this is an obvious manufacturing issue.

Leodis

Veteran
Yeah the tension thing was what got Evans mechs, replacing one spoke causes another problem and so on. They just sent it away but if I was you I would send it back to Wiggle as they are good like that.

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Result. Wiggle looked at photos, told meet to return the wheel using collect + and they are pretty sure that it looks like a fault and a new wheel will be dispatched. Got my old vision wheel on the back via my mates workshop and also got a free train home as had beers watching Jens smash the hour

OP
OP
BigAl68

BigAl68

Über Member
Just had an email telling me my replacement wheels have shipped. Also forgot to return the QR so that's a spare pair to boot.

Top Bottom