Replacing a stolen rear wheel. Assistance choosing the right parts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IainMac23

Hi Guys

1st time poster, hopefully i got the right forum for this one.

I bought my son a Carrera Axel 20" frame / 27.5" wheel hybrid mtb for xmas (link to the bike below), and some undesirable has chopped his lock and stolen the rear wheel.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...a-axle-mens-hybrid-bike-black-16-18-20-frames

I have spoken to the Halfords bike department about replacing parts as close to like for like as possible and they gave me some info (below), however i really would like to shop around but my knowledge on bike parts is making this task seem like a minefield with instructions in a language i dont understand.

Any assistance / recommendations for the right parts when it comes to the wheel and gearing freewheel

This is the info halfords gave me:

Wheel: 27.5" wheel / Raleigh p/n: RGR051 / halfords products code: 562279 £34
Shimano 7 speed 14 to 34 tooth freewheel £29.99

Thanks

Plus tyre, plus tube, plus rim tape. And possibly a new chain if the current one is worn.

Those prices seem pretty reasonable.

OP
OP
IainMac23

IainMac23

Almost cheaper to buy another bike and keep one just for spares :whistle:

But make sure you buy him a better lock. It's funny they chopped the lock and only took the wheel.

I had considered this!!

The front wheel was d-lock shackled to the frame & lockup. The back was only secured with a cable loop. Its s d-lock both ends now for sure

jessand

Veteran
Sorry you find yourself in this situation.

£29.99 for a freewheel is a rip-off - so I'm assuming they are charging you for fitting. Decathlon do Shimano 11-34 for £9.99, 5 minute job to fit. They also do decent tyres and tubes etc. generally better than Halfords IMO. If you're handy, look how to fit a freewheel (and the tool you need) on youtube. Basic maintenance is a useful skill - fitting a freewheel, tyre, tube, rim tape is all very basic. I reckon you could get the lot for about £65. Decathlon will quote to fit if you need. Good luck.

Top Bottom