Replacing Bianchi Front Forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Because I want to raise the handlebar level, and having tried and fitted an A Head adaptor which looked awful, I need to replace my forks.

Could anyone recommend a carbon Fork which is reasonably priced.Can I also ask whether any forks I buy will come with the star nut that is needed to secure them. Thanks

fixedfixer

Veteran
For my tight budget 'reasonably priced' = sub £100. For that you are looking at Tifosi etc (look in Wiggle). The star nut is usually an extra couple of pounds, if you are getting a carbon steerer tube (unlikely at this price) you'll need a special carbon type nut. Otherwise the normal star nut will be fine. If you're looking for ones with mudguard eyes you'll have less choice.

MartinC

Über Member
If you want to put a big stack of spacers under the stem then you really need forks with a steel steerer tube. What constitutes big is debatable. I wouldn't put more than 30-40mm of spacers on an alumnium stem and less on a carbon one. Flipping or getting a stem with more angle is preferable 'cos it's putting less strain on the steerer tube.

e-rider

crappy member
If you want to put a big stack of spacers under the stem then you really need forks with a steel steerer tube. What constitutes big is debatable. I wouldn't put more than 30-40mm of spacers on an alumnium stem and less on a carbon one. Flipping or getting a stem with more angle is preferable 'cos it's putting less strain on the steerer tube.

according to most (probably all) manufacturers, 40mm is the max for Alu steerers; although I would think you could stretch that to 50mm and be pretty safe.

People like 'Thorn' use 60+mm on their steel steerers.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks everyone.Good advice as usual.Interested to read about the limitation on spacers as I will now bear that in mind I have now thought up a cunning plan.Whether it will work I don't know but its worth a try.

The A Head adaptor as I mentioned looks awful so what I have decided to do is so that both bolts in the stem have something to grip is to cut a piece of it off and place that on top of the fork spindle and to then move the stem up with spacers. I will then sleeve the spindle and replace the stem cap.

Hopefully you will get the idea of what I intend to do and if it works I will have saved myself a few bob.

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks everyone.Good advice as usual.Interested to read about the limitation on spacers as I will now bear that in mind I have now thought up a cunning plan.Whether it will work I don't know but its worth a try.

The A Head adaptor as I mentioned looks awful so what I have decided to do is so that both bolts in the stem have something to grip is to cut a piece of it off and place that on top of the fork spindle and to then move the stem up with spacers. I will then sleeve the spindle and replace the stem cap.

Hopefully you will get the idea of what I intend to do and if it works I will have saved myself a few bob.

but only half of the stem will be gripping the actual steerer tube right? Sounds really dodgy to me and very dangerous.

MartinC

Über Member

Please don't do that! It's asking for a steering failure.

redjedi

Über Member

I'm not sure I fully understand what your intending to do, but please don't go bodging something as vital as the steering tube/stem.

Do what others have said and either replace the forks or get a stem which will raise the bars more.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
A great big thank you to everyone that has asked me to refrain from adapting my forks.

I did do what I said I would to be honest and I took it out for a ride today and having the extra height really made it more comfortable.

My rationale was that the bottom part of the stem was clamped to the fork tube and the upper part of the stem was clamped to the newly fitted spacer.So in theory, given all and any weight was being pushed down on the bars and stem nothing untoward should happen and as I have said nothing did to day.

But that said given the concerns you have expressed I now feel honour bound to not be so tight and to actually look out for the forks suggested or go onto Ebay and look for some.

I might be daft but I really could not ride the bike with my adaption because I would feel a right idiot, and also possibly incur a nasty injury if I should ignore your advice.

Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom