Replacing bolts / screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MighyG

Hi all,

Picked up my new carrera subway 1 last week, yesterday I needed to adjust the breaks and one of the screw adjusters is very soft and starting to wear on its head as I unscrewed. I'd like to replace the screws and other bolts / washers with stainless steel or a stronger material - are there packs you can buy to do this ? or is it a case of working out what thread / size they are and then sourcing individually ?

thanks for any help you can offer

Paul

PpPete

Legendary Member
Namrick & Stagonset are both good online suppliers of stainless fasteners with a wide range of styles and lengths

M5 is about the most common size on a bike.... the bottle cage bolts are good example for comparison.

I tend to buy what I need for a given job then add a collection of different length M5 socket head and odd nuts washers. They always come in useful and it makes the postage worthwhile.

02GF74

Über Member
location?

stainless steel is nice since it does not rust but it should not be used with aluminium alloys without some barrier grease.

BZP allen bolts are available to 12.9 tensile strength - which is is stronger thant the cheese metal you get on cheap bikes. This is stronger than stainless steel.

Note that most bolts on a bike that are not under stress can be repleace by stainless but the bolts for the stem - bars and steerer are high tensile. (12.9 T)

Top Bottom