Replacing brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A technical and aesthetic question here:

I'm currently in the process of doing up an old Cinelli Riviera - here it is:

2014-04-04-18-30-49-jpg.41534.jpg

2014-04-04-18-34-13-jpg.41535.jpg

Next on my wish list is to replace the slightly naff plastic brake levers, and to put on some new bar tape at the same time.

I'm thinking of a pair of Mafac Racer levers like these (to match the calipers):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAFAC-Cou...303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e748729f

and then maybe some fizik microtex bar tape in brown (to match the brooks)

However, I'm curious - does one have to replace the entire brake lever and hood as a unit, or would it be possible for me to swap out the plastic levers I currently have and keep the hoods? If so this could save quite a bit of money, by substituting in a lever like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GALLI-DRI...694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4182a2d50e

So question one - is this substitution of the lever only likely to be possible, or will I have to replace the lever and hoods as a unit?

Question two - anyone got any other recommendations for a nice brake lever and/or bar tape?

Cheers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No it's a complete unit, and hoods are usually brake specific.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's what I suspected - thanks for confirming!

Now I've just got to find the perfect set of levers/hoods for the bike...

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
..............Now I've just got to find the perfect set of levers/hoods for the bike...

there's a chap on eBay who sells such - all renovated and super polished
he aint cheap ---- had a chat - seems OK
however my brakes came up OK with a ton of Autosol

bought hoods from here..............
not perfect fit - but as fossyant says - can be specific if you want perfect
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121350509...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
wfs-08-06-2014-22-07-34-100_2788_zpsb946da33.jpg
thick cork tape for my hands [medical prob]
with your bars - maybe consider cotton tape..?

i'll dig out his seller name....................rob something

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for the links John, I shall have a look through what these guys are selling. I rather like the look of the brown hood covers, if I end up going for brown bar tape!

I have to confess that I'm actually feeling pretty silly right now........ I've just been inspecting the brake levers on my bike, and having a little fiddle, and it seems the naff plastic levers were only covers! I swear I tried to see if they would come off ages ago and couldn't shift them an inch. Maybe the warmer weather's loosened them up a little.

Anyway, I was very pleased to find that the levers underneath look much more respectable, and should come up nicely with a bit of a polish. Saves a good deal of time and money :biggrin:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Just got around to putting on some new hood covers and bar tapes, and finish cleaning up the brake levers...

Here it is :smile: Thanks for the tips!

2014-07-05 16.17.17.jpg
2014-07-05 16.17.38.jpg

wisdom

Guru
Looks good nice job youve done.

Top Bottom