Replacing Brompton spider crank set.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi
I have a 2019 50T silver crank set i want to replace with a black one.

There's not much on the web or youtube about under-taking this myself but it looks relatively easy.
So a couple of questions:
1. Is changing the Brompton cranks set the same as changing any bike crank set and would i be okay following a generic bike manual ?
2. I know this video is 8 yrs old and the example isn't a spider crank, but if i followed it, would i be okay?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYo8Ta8SBxE&t=352s

3. I am a bit confused about the tools being used to unscrew the bottom bracket area / core - could someone explain the tools required and any sizes specific to the Brompton.

Thanks for your time folks
sp

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should be the same. A socket for the crank bolt. You'll also need a crank extractor to remove the cranks, there are various types, this is from Halfords:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...ehut-professional-crank-extractor-164123.html

Plus a 15mm spanner to remove the pedals. Should all be very straightforward.
(Remember the LH crank has reverse thread, spanner should move to the back of the bike, both sides).

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
They’re easy to get off, remove the bolts and then use a crank puller.

If you are fitting a later “spider” crankset then you will need to change the bottom bracket, your one in the photo takes an ISO BB the replacement “spider” version needs a newer JIS BB.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Thanks -
1. My Brompton is a 2019 which came with a spider crank so the bottom bracket should be ok. (?)
2. Do i need to put the chain in a certain gear / on a certain cog ? I've got 6 speed standard with 2 cogs .
3. Do i need to grease the new black 50T cog - will 3-1 oil do or do i need something special ?
4. For the crank puller - do i need a specific size for the Brompton or will any generic one do / they all come in one size ?
cheers
sp

Last edited:
Top Bottom