Replacing Dahon front hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theparker00

Hi- have a older Dahon Speed TR and want to replace the failing front wheel biologic dyno with a normal 74mm hub- hav bought a new 74mm 20h Dahon front hub off ebay (has no axle for some reason)- will that be good enough for touring with front panniers????
And any recommendations for axle/skewers to fit? Any information to help me thanks- Bill

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Presumably you’ll transfer the axle and bearings from the existing hub. If they are in good order you should be fine.

Can't help with your detailed technical query theparker, but I personally would be wary of touring on Dahon SpeedTR, though I know some have. I have the Dahon Speed Pro, which is I believe very closely related to the TR model. In short, I don't think the build quality is up to it. And some bits are a bit too specific for my liking.
I'd put something together from a 700 wheeled bike. You could use an old frame. In the longer run this would also I think actually be cheaper - those Dahons in my experience need a lot of maintenance.

OP
OP
T

theparker00

Can't help with your detailed technical query theparker, but I personally would be wary of touring on Dahon SpeedTR, though I know some have. I have the Dahon Speed Pro, which is I believe very closely related to the TR model. In short, I don't think the build quality is up to it. And some bits are a bit too specific for my liking.
I'd put something together from a 700 wheeled bike. You could use an old frame. In the longer run this would also I think actually be cheaper - those Dahons in my experience need a lot of maintenance.

Ok- have done some touring on it- the light has just stopped and a couple of other little things- wouldnt liketo long tour it goes nowhere fast!- cheers

Ok- have done some touring on it- the light has just stopped and a couple of other little things- wouldnt liketo long tour it goes nowhere fast!- cheers
Not a speed thing - more to do with reliability and ability to fix easily and economically.

I do remember once seeing a post online from some poor chap on a tour somewhere far out east on Dahon Speed TR asking about a fix/spare bit. I remember thinking "poor sod/you'll be lucky". Dahon were sod all help with at least one issue I had with my Speed Pro - story in short in brief.

On a mediterranean island I developed a serious headset issue (as in falling apart) - Dahon no use, a dealer on a Dahon newsgroup swore that the issue was simple but could give no effective help. Eventually help came from a fellow Speed Pro owner in Hawaii who very kindly took his bike apart so that he could give me the information I needed. I then managed to order the bits from the excellent CH White back in the UK - but with the parts cost and the international courier they had to use it was very expensive. There was then an additional cost at an Italian bike shop to get the bits fitted.

I am confident that this issue would never have arisen one of my self-builds, and if anything like it had I could have sorted it myself with standard tools, a bit of grease and some standard ball bearings.

Dahon were always terrible for parts supply to their dealers and users.

I should stress that my Speed Pro is great to ride but I do have to be careful with it. Won't bore you with other issues I have had.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Do you think it would be easy to separate the axle from the rest of the hub and dyno? Just asking - thanks
Not familiar with this arrangement on Dahons so I suggest you post a picture so we can see what’s involved.
Might be easier to just source a new axle.

Edit: Are you sure your hub doesn’t have an axle? Seems strange. Or do you mean the QR?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

theparker00

Not familiar with this arrangement on Dahons so I suggest you post a picture so we can see what’s involved.
Might be easier to just source a new axle.

Edit: Are you sure your hub doesn’t have an axle? Seems strange. Or do you mean the QR?

This is the hub i bought- cant see an axle- i am a rank amateur in these thingz im afraid- what do u think? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201209-094037_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-094037_eBay.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201209-094022_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-094022_eBay.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
T

theparker00

My Dahon was QR. Can you not just get a bog standard front hub and spokes to fit to existing rim, assuming rim not too worn?

Thats my plan to "de dyno" the front - saw a couple of QR 74mm on the net but they are pricey compared to full sized bikes- where did u source yours? This is the hub i bought- Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201209-094037_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-094037_eBay.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20201209-094022_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-094022_eBay.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
T

theparker00

Not a speed thing - more to do with reliability and ability to fix easily and economically.

I do remember once seeing a post online from some poor chap on a tour somewhere far out east on Dahon Speed TR asking about a fix/spare bit. I remember thinking "poor sod/you'll be lucky". Dahon were sod all help with at least one issue I had with my Speed Pro - story in short in brief.

On a mediterranean island I developed a serious headset issue (as in falling apart) - Dahon no use, a dealer on a Dahon newsgroup swore that the issue was simple but could give no effective help. Eventually help came from a fellow Speed Pro owner in Hawaii who very kindly took his bike apart so that he could give me the information I needed. I then managed to order the bits from the excellent CH White back in the UK - but with the parts cost and the international courier they had to use it was very expensive. There was then an additional cost at an Italian bike shop to get the bits fitted.

I am confident that this issue would never have arisen one of my self-builds, and if anything like it had I could have sorted it myself with standard tools, a bit of grease and some standard ball bearings.

Dahon were always terrible for parts supply to their dealers and users.

I should stress that my Speed Pro is great to ride but I do have to be careful with it. Won't bore you with other issues I have had.

That soundz high up on touring bike dramas! My sympathies - i too have had a problem or two with the TR but it suits my style just rolling along ... and the problem this trip the seat pump died!😥👎

Attachments

• 20201122_125625.jpg
    20201122_125625.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 11

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It's a little tricky to tell from the photos, but would one of these from SJS do the job? Or if you're wanting to change to QR, a quick search for '74mm hub skewers' reveals those options are out there too.
On my TR I replaced the rear hub and cassette and refitted to the old rim using new spokes, but then I was replacing like for like rather than fitting a different hub.

I did consider touring on the TR; it seems robust and well kitted out for the job. In the end I never did, not because I was unduly concerned about reliability, but because effecting what would be standard repairs on a more conventional tourer, seemed to be that bit trickier. For example, the stock pannier racks make the simple act of wheel removal more challenging than it need be.

Good luck with the wheel and future travels.

OP
OP
T

theparker00

It's a little tricky to tell from the photos, but would one of these from SJS do the job? Or if you're wanting to change to QR, a quick search for '74mm hub skewers' reveals those options are out there too.
On my TR I replaced the rear hub and cassette and refitted to the old rim using new spokes, but then I was replacing like for like rather than fitting a different hub.

I did consider touring on the TR; it seems robust and well kitted out for the job. In the end I never did, not because I was unduly concerned about reliability, but because effecting what would be standard repairs on a more conventional tourer, seemed to be that bit trickier. For example, the stock pannier racks make the simple act of wheel removal more challenging than it need be.

Good luck with the wheel and future travels.

Thanks for that- yes saw that skewer and liked it- bout $US7 .... their delivery cost to Australia bout $US64 !!!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You know, Fuji made a folding bicycle, mainly for Marlboro cigarettes. Took 26" wheels and accessories. Very solid MTB when unfolded, and the fold lock is the seat post. Cannot be beat for durability and capacity. Fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things. Heavy, but reliable, and most of the weight on a touring bicycle is the load.

Top Bottom