Replacing grip shifts with triggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

Guru
Location
Stockton on Tees
My seven-year-old son's Carrera Blast has grip shifts. Ever since I got my bike with triggers he has wanted some himself so I was wondering about the technicallities of swapping his grips for triggers.

The bike has a SRAM X3 rear mech, 7 speed cassette and some front mech I can't identify(...). I was wondering whether swapping the current shifters for say, SRAM X3 triggers would be a straightforward swap? I believe the gripshifts and triggers have different actuation ratios, does that make a difference when doing the swap?
 

Riding in Circles

Legendary Member
Location
EDINBURGH
You need the correct actuation ratio between shifter and mech in relation to the cassette, i.e. a 9 speed trigger shifter is not compatible with a 7 speed mech/cassette in general. Rule of thumb is that in general 6 and 7 speed work with each other as far as spacing goes and 8 and 9 work with each other. SRAM use a 1:1 shift ratio and Shimano use 1:2 in the current range and 1:1.7 in the earlier stuff, Campag is different again. The X3 7 speed trigger shifter will work fine with your set up.
 
OP
OP
abo

abo

Guru
Location
Stockton on Tees
Thanks Catrike, was hoping that would be the case. As far as the swap goes, is it literally a case of pulling the grips off, removing the existing shifters, installing the new shifters and cables and then setting them up, or am I missing a pitfall somewhere? :thumbsup:
 

Riding in Circles

Legendary Member
Location
EDINBURGH
Thanks Catrike, was hoping that would be the case. As far as the swap goes, is it literally a case of pulling the grips off, removing the existing shifters, installing the new shifters and cables and then setting them up, or am I missing a pitfall somewhere? :thumbsup:

No that's it, the outer may need shortening a touch depending on the placement of the new shifters but I suspect the difference will be marginal and will not require attention.
 
Top Bottom