replacing outer cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would say near impossible. I thought the same a while back but there's no way. Especially if you have sticky backed bar tape and the outers are taped to the bars first off (to hold them in place before wrapping)

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When you replace, get some cable trunking from your LBS. This fits over the outer and allows you to extract and replace a cable by sliding it through. Shimano supply it with groupsets to shops (Or did till recently anyway) but none of them bother to use it and they generally have some lying around. My LBS gave me a few lengths.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Ive got 2 sets of bar tape on so I'm fooked and they're pretty worn , ah well time for a strip down and new setup

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
The easiest way would be to use a strong alkali like drain cleaner to completely eat away the handlebars. Then carefully remove the inner cables from the still-standing bar tape assembly. When finished, use a 3D printer to replace the bars.
Why didn't I think of that in the first place ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Replace the inners as well

robjh

Legendary Member
Don't be put off replacing the bar tape, once you've done it a couple of times it is very quick and takes less time than replacing the cables which ends up being a bit more fiddly.
You don't strictly need to replace the bar tape every time if you're just accessing the gear cables. Unravel the tape from the centre of the handlebars up to the STI levers and leave the ends hanging while you do the work, then wind it back over the bars and finish off with black tape to secure the end of the bar tape. The bar tape may look scruffier over time but you can get away with reusing it several times in this way. Did mine just the other day.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
You don't strictly need to replace the bar tape every time if you're just accessing the gear cables. Unravel the tape from the centre of the handlebars up to the STI levers and leave the ends hanging while you do the work, then wind it back over the bars and finish off with black tape to secure the end of the bar tape. The bar tape may look scruffier over time but you can get away with reusing it several times in this way. Did mine just the other day.
Did exactly this today. Cheers for that

Top Bottom