Replacing shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I have shimano Sora 2012 shifter on my bike and I am considering upgrading them, but probably just to Sora 2013, as I don't like the motion of moving the brake lever to change gear. It is a 9 speed compact. How easy is this to do? Would other shifters be better and if so, what would I need to look at when buying. I'm doing this on a budget, so the cheaper the better.

Star Strider

If they work and have done few miles I would keep the old ones.

A new chain, cassette and cables would be the better spend.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think you still move the brake lever with new Sora to change gear you just have an additional paddle behind the lever rather than the button on the inside of the hood. Sram doesn't move the brake lever but they wouldn't be compatible with a Shimano mech. Your alternative if you want a brake lever that doesn't shift is Microshift which is fully compatible with a shimano mech and gvfm. It has a large and a small paddle behind the brake lever.

I don't like the motion of moving the brake lever to change gear.
You would still have to 'throw' the brake lever to change gear on the 2013 ones. They have done away with the thumb shifter on 2013 but that is the only noticeable difference.

Most of the current shifters, be it Shimano, Sram, Campag etc all require moving the brake lever to change gear, so I can't see what you'd gain from the expense of changing TBH.

[EDIT] Cross posted with H71, must type faster :blush:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You would still have to 'throw' the brake lever to change gear on the 2013 ones. They have done away with the thumb shifter on 2013 but that is the only noticeable difference.

All the current shifters, be it Shimano, Sram, Campag etc all require moving the brake lever to change gear, so I can't see what you'd gain from the expense of changing TBH.

[EDIT] Cross posted with H71, must type faster :blush:

Sram don't

Top Bottom