replacing some links on a shagged chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm riding a very worn bike waiting for insurance to replace the good one trashed in an accident, I don;t want to spend a penny fixing it up and it's done brill for me but with only a few weeks to go, hopefully one of the links went stiff last night and didn't want to free despite wiggling it

I dug out a link spanner thingy from way back and took the link out meaning to rejoin, it was 10.30 at night after a very long day and like a silly arse I drove the pins right out and couldn't get the bloody things back in, I appreciate now that I shouldn't have driven them right out, sigh

anyhow, so presumably now I'm looking at replacing the original bad link with five links, are five new links going to run ok on a chainset that's presumably very very worn in?

it's hopefully only going to have to be good for a few weeks tops

ta

gbb

Legendary Member
'Presumably' very very worn infers it may not be 'very very worn'...

For what you want to achieve...i'd suck it and see. What have you got to lose ?....change the links and maybe take it steady till you feel confident it will last.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
it's done lots of miles with no maintenance worth talking about followed by years in the garden followed by a fair few more miles

I was wondering about that section of the chain not meeting the various teeth very well

but yes, suppose, ta, didn't want o get all oily and waste time if it's a non starter

Bokonon

Über Member
Assuming the bike is equipped with derailleur gears, you may get away with just joining the chain up without the knackered link(s.) Compensate for the shorter chain by avoiding use of the largest chainring and the largest sprocket (set the stops on the mechs to facilitate!)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
yes, that was my original plan until I cocked up, now I'm looking at five links shorter which might be pushing it?

frog

I don't see it being a problem. As the new links go over the rings and cogs they will only be the single point of loading for a very short time. They will cause wear on the faces of the teeth but as you're junking the whole bike soon that won't matter. I should imagine they will be a bit noisy for the first 20 or so miles then bed in after that.

Top Bottom