Replacing spokes on tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Breaking a spoke is a bugger...it's happened to me three times and each time it meant a trip to a LBS and a wheel true. No problem if there is a LBS nearby who know how to do it. But what about when there isn't?

Todya I was ona bike maintenance course and we covered spoke replacement and basic wheel truing (i'e just on the bike using the blocks as a reference...noy using a truing wheel).

Now as the spokes usually break on the rear wheel on the drive side the cassette needs removing. Ok...so here is my question to you seasoned tourers....

...how do you avoid th eneed to carry a bloody great spanner and a chain whip to get the cassette off?? These tools are HEAVY...is there some other way to do it, or lighter tools??
I want to be able to re spoke and true the wheel, but there is no way i can add those tools to my load..it will cripple me:biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You need an NBT2 (about 25g)

To undo the lockring, fit it as shown, put the wheel back, and use the pedals to rotate the wheel whilst the NBT2 holds the lockring still, thus undoing it.
To tighten the lockring, fit in the same way, and rotate the wheel backwards by hand.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Breaking a spoke is a bugger...it's happened to me three times and each time it meant a trip to a LBS and a wheel true. No problem if there is a LBS nearby who know how to do it. But what about when there isn't?

...how do you avoid th eneed to carry a bloody great spanner and a chain whip to get the cassette off?? These tools are HEAVY...is there some other way to do it, or lighter tools??

http://www.mountain-bike-scotland.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=173&page=3

Should get around the problem.

Bespoke hand built wheels are another solution. I've not snapped a spoke since having wheels built with Sapim Strong single butted spokes on the drive side and Sapim double butted on the non-drive side.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

How was the training course BTFB? It's local to me and I've been meaning to do it for some years.

...for what I needed (and for the cash) it was a worthwhile course. However I am a total beginner when it comes to bike maintenance so I can only judge on that basis as I have nothing to compare it to.

There are 3 levels (I only did 2 &3). The first level was brakes, cables, gears etc stripping down th ebike, re fitting etc setting up derailers. Level 3 included bearings, wheel true (using brakes as a guide not awheel) etc.

The instructor is a nice enough guy and th ecourse is done on an informal basis...groupo demo>work on own bikes> instructor asssits >move on type structure.

It's held in a small workshop over a garage (you have to carry you bike up some fire escape steps). You each have your own stand, tools are communal, Tea and biccys are there if you like. !0am -4pm each day..£30 per level so it cost me £60. We worke doutsid eon th eroof as it was a nice day, however if it's raining I reckon the workshop could get crowded .

The thing is that it is all very well being shown what to do and doing it once. The trick is to go home and take the bike apart again and practice what you have learnt. Also I am finding that I now have a need to buy th eright tools for the jobs.

I stongly advise you to take your own bike. There are lot's of old rusty mtb's to work on if you like but I found I wanted to get familier with my own kit so to speak.

To sum up I would say this is a good basic beginner level course. It got me working on my bike and I am now not scared to pull it to bits. Since the weekend I have already stripped down all th ecables and refitted them, re set the brakes and re set up the rear de railer just for practice...something I would never have dared do only a week ago. I will feel more confident on tour now.
It is not a high tech hi spec course...no fast carbon roadie bikes , not computers, no detailed measurements etc...just a basic quick practical guide to the main jobs so you can do them at home or on tour.

Beware...the workshop is on top of a 'bit of a hill'...

Top Bottom