Replacing Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
I've just noticed that my rear 25mm road tyre needs replacing as it has developed several holes in middle, so matter of time before it punctures. The front tyre seems OK and is not breached. Now I've ordered some new 25's but have a couple of 23mms in reasonable condition that I can use pending delivery.

So I'm thinking to move existing 25mm to rear, and put a 23mm on front, then put new 25mm on front when it arrrives.

Does that seem sensible?

I'm assuming it's better to have wider tyre on the rear if running 2 different ones?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about which tyre goes where - so I would just put the 23mm on the rear while awaiting the 25mm.
2mm doesn't make much difference (except when trying to fit mudguards with tight clearance!) to how your bike will ride.
Are the holes in the back from penetration or where your wheel has locked up? If the latter, it's worth checking the wheel is true.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about which tyre goes where - so I would just put the 23mm on the rear while awaiting the 25mm.
2mm doesn't make much difference (except when trying to fit mudguards with tight clearance!) to how your bike will ride.
Are the holes in the back from penetration or where your wheel has locked up? If the latter, it's worth checking the wheel is true.

Tks for that.

I did have a recent lockup so probably caused by that. I've had over 5000 miles out of them so thought I should replace, as I'm not sure how much rubber there is until tube gets exposed..

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Some pics:-

IMG_1201[1].JPG
IMG_1202[1].JPG

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
I've just retired my 'better' bike for the winter but could make an appearance for a few days. I've actually ordered a CAADX 105 2014 but still awaiting delivery!

sreten

Hi,
Your plan with the 23mm is sensible, as a new tyre goes on the front
with the old front tyre put on the rear is the way to update a rear tyre.
rgds, sreten

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
@sreten, can you explain why that is the case? I've heard other people say why, but no one has ever explained why it should be done

I believe it's because you want the best tyre on the front; as you'd much prefer a puncture on the rear if you had to choose. More likely to come off if the front punctures.

As it happens I've just put the spare 23mm on the rear until new (Conti 4 seasons) arrive; probably going to replace both.

SWSteve

Guru
I believe it's because you want the best tyre on the front; as you'd much prefer a puncture on the rear if you had to choose. More likely to come off if the front punctures.

As it happens I've just put the spare 23mm on the rear until new (Conti 4 seasons) arrive; probably going to replace both.

Okay, that makes sense, I just thought there was another one of those stupid rules to 'follow'

sreten

@sreten, can you explain why that is the case? I've heard other people say why, but no one has ever explained why it should be done

Hi,

If you lose the back it can be recoverable, if you lose the front its usually terminal.
Same with a bad puncture / blowout on the rear compared to the front.
Also you can stop twice as fast on your front brake compared to using the rear,
noting when using the front brake hard the rear brake is very next to useless.

So you always want your "best" tyre on the front. Note however the worn
rear tyre (if the tyres have tread) probably has more grip than the new
front in good conditions but less in adverse conditions, where you are
generally more likely to really come a cropper on your bike.

If you follow the "rule" you only really to check the rear tyre, and won't
end up with a really old front tyre. They last absolutely ages compared
to the rear, are near impossible to wear out, and usually fail in some
way due to old age,,there is no point finding out how/what that will be.

Rotating the tyres front to back, new on the front, generally means
they will all get worn out on the rear within a reasonable lifetime.

rgds, sreten.

Swapping worn rear to front to even wear so you can replace
both is a very bad idea. Lots of people update both when they
don't really need to, but the temptation is too great if at the same
time you are "upgrading" your tyres from what you currently have.
Lots of front tyres get pointlessly binned with the rear tyre.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Great to see a fellow Yorkshireman getting the most out of something and fair play that you've got away without replacing them for so long, impressive!
I'm actually a Geordie but not lived there for 27 years. I normally check my tyres daily either before or after rides but for some reason forgot to do it recently. So tyres were certainly OK prior to that lockup but regardless I'm well pleased with 5K miles out of the rear. The current 23/25mm set up also seems fine so might keep these tyres on and hold the 4 seasons in reserve.

Taking delivery of CAADX very soon so will use that when weather turns nasty.

Top Bottom