Replacing tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samuelodog

Hi, I have an old bike with very old tyres I'm looking to do up. The tyres have many things written on them:
Schwalbe delta cruiser
32-622
28x1-5/8 x 1/4
700 x 32c
Hs310

I want to replace the tyres with wider almost fat tyres. But I'm not sure what would fit the rims. Any idea what I could go for? Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want very much wider tyres you need to make sure the frames has sufficient clearance for them otherwise you should be good for up to 40c on those rims.

OP
OP
S

samuelodog

Thanks, I still don't understand all the measurements. Any chance you could point me to a link for some basic wider tyres I could get, I'm trying to keep the price very low but avoid getting absolute rubbish!! Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All you really need to know is the common 700 x 32c. 700 (or 28") is the diameter and 32c is the tyre width.
If you could post some pics of the front wheel where it passes through the fork and the rear where it goes through the chain stays and brake bridge we can maybe guesstimate how fat you might be able to go. Make and model of bike would be helpful.
As for bargains it's just a case of searching the net. Brands to go for are Schwalbe. Continental, Michelin, Panaracer and more. Avoid cheap brands made in India or far east. Better tyres will have some type of puncture protection belt incorporated.
You might find these sites useful;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

samuelodog

Pics attached many thanks
20190721_162032.jpg
20190721_162048.jpg
20190721_162116.jpg

OP
OP
S

samuelodog

Basically bought my wife new bike, lazy susan by charge. We went for a long ride, I used my old bike. I was knackered! On road and off road. Her bike was so comfy she has fatter tyres.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Raleigh Pioneer. Looks like you might be able to go to 40c so the land cruisers you linked could work.
Pressures are going to have more affect on comfort than size.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
my wife new bike, lazy susan by charge. We went for a long ride, I used my old bike. I was knackered! On road and off road. Her bike was so comfy she has fatter tyres.
Your tyres look fine - I doubt replacements will make much difference. You were knackered because her bike was power-assisted. Check that you're not overinflating your tyres - see the attachment. For a 100kg load (rider plus bike) with 32mm wide tyres, you'd be looking at 45psi front and 85psi rear.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 12

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Re the stuff written on the tyres

Schwalbe delta cruiser: Name of tyre type
32-622 : This is the important one. It means 622mm diameter rim (wheel size), and 32mm diameter tyre (tyre fatness).
28x1-5/8 x 1/4: Some waffly equivalent in imperial.
700 x 32c : Effectively this means the same as 32-622 but is written in obscure code just to be annoying.
Hs310: I think this is code that identifies the tyre type.

As above, make sure you have clearance if you want to fit bigger tyres.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
And beware, the edge of the tread of a wet muddy tyre will cut through a frame tube in very quick time if it rubs.

Top Bottom