Replica Oakley sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've a pair of original Jawbones and due to an accident well covered on here (carbon mtb snapping) my lenses were irreparably damaged. The frames simply slotted back together. I got some eBay lenses as the iridium weren't in stock anywhere. The lenses look to be of comparable quality, but the bottom quadrant makes the road look weird. But not enough to be bothered, I've had them 5 or 6 years IIRC and they actually seem more scratch resistant than the originals as I've not pampered them since the accident. iirc the ordering and delivery process was a dream and only took a few days from China.

Citius

Seen lots of these replica Oakley sunglasses being praised on youtube lately but bit nervous of buying online from China etc. Has anyone had any experience and can advise what site best to buy from

I've had two pairs - jawbones and radar locks - both frames broken in less than a year. Ultimately not worth the cost. Plenty of good, genuine cheaper alternatives out there from Uvex, Bolle, Bloc or others...

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I've had two pairs - jawbones and radar locks - both frames broken in less than a year. Ultimately not worth the cost. Plenty of good, genuine cheaper alternatives out there from Uvex, Bolle, Bloc or others...
The price i payed for these Jawbreakers I'm expecting them to break relatively quickly also. One way to find out I suppose :blush:

martint235

Dog on a bike
The quality of the frames I had was quite good. However I found that after commuting in the shaded lenses, my eyesight was going funny. They went in the bin.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
First impressions are good. They look great but I'll see how they go on the road. Six lenses as well
IMG_20160203_120144.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
There's an issue here. There's no guarantee that these Oakley "inspired" binos have the recommended degree of UV protection, yet they will cause the pupils to dialate as the visible light level is reduced, which in turn allows more UV into the eye. This is why proper UV protection is so important on shades.

To buy a piece of PPE with dubious protective qualities is a penny pinch too far for me.

Citius

Assuming the lenses are polycarbonate, then UV protection is already there

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a big assumption! Even then, there no 'standard' composition, and UV stabilisers will be present in differing amounts to protect the material itself.

The odds of a counterfeit product offering the requisite UV protection are very low, which is one of. the safety reasons Trading Standards cite for avoiding them.

They're you're eyes, you go nuts.

Citius

Not sure you get it. If it is polycarbonate then it has an inherent UV resistance. Look it up..

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Many cyclists on youtube have had these glasses from Ali Express tested and they passed every time. @Citius iv tried to send links but the link to these particular glasses doesn't seem to exist anymore. If you go into Ali Express
(I find the app is more effective) then just tap in Jawbreaker and loads come up. I payed $22 and they came with 6 lenses and there was a choice 30 frame colours. Many more on there, some cheaper some more expensive

subaqua

What’s the point
It's not just the UV though. It's the optical rating too. Me , I have a great pair of transitions that work really well. Wear em all the time and they look good .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oakley was founded in 1975, I believe. Prior to that date, did anybody at all actually manage to ride a bike without suffering serious personal injury?

Top Bottom