Replicating cleat positions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's your tried and tested method to replicate cleat positions on a new pair of shoes ?

Keen to get the new set as per my current ones as they are now a great position !

Thanks

PS: this is for 3 bolt road cleats

Sharky

Guru
Just "feel". With look pedals having float, it's not that critical. The early black cleats with no float were a bit more difficult.

But not as difficult as the old toe clips. Used to ride a few miles without cleats, to make an imprint in the leather sole, before nailing the cleats in place.

Mike_P

Guru
A good starting point is to fit the cleats to the shoes eyeballed as being in the same position in terms of the fixing bolts as those on an existing pair.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I use a tape measure and measure from the rear of the shoe and then position the back of the cleat the exact same distance from the heel.

It's important to work from the back as different shoe styles can be longer or shorter at the front. That can't happen at the heel end.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
its defo a bit of trial and error but measuring from heel is a good starting point. new cleats to old shoes i use the felt tip pen outline method on the sole.

pawl

Legendary Member
I use tipex to mark the outline of the cleat on the shoe sole.when replacing cleatse

If it’s new shoes I try to position the cleat as near as possible to the old shoes Once I’m satisfied I mark as above

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
What's your tried and tested method to replicate cleat positions on a new pair of shoes ?

Keen to get the new set as per my current ones as they are now a great position !

Thanks

PS: this is for 3 bolt road cleats

I use the unscientific methods.

But when getting fitted for a new bike, they used one of these, or something similar.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...laQhESQhUvRGcFDGGNYaAkSBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don’t think there is a scientific method as each shoe has different dimensions and thickness of padding. Like others the best I have found is measuring from the heal and then adjusting from there by feel. I have pairs of shoes with quite different positions even measuring from the heal, my assumption is that they are so different because of the different sole material and therefore flex and feel.

Top Bottom