Replies from Authors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

When I'm a rich and famous author you can all email me and I will reply.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
When I was a kid, I wrote to Isaac Asimov pointing out a problem I saw with the three laws of robotics, and received a two-page reply discussing the issue in some detail.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Uncle Mort said:
When I was a kid I wrote to Tove Janssen (creator of the Moomintroll books) and got two long hand-written letters in reply. Never got as much as a postcard from Michael Bond who wrote the Paddington stories though...

Tove Janssen was a wondeful human being, that's why! Her adult work is very much worth reading too: 'The Summer Book' is just beautiful...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My daughter wrote to a kids' authr (erm... name escapes me right now) pointing out a discrepancy between the text and the illustration... she got a lovely reply back, saying it would be put right in next edition... which it was, and she also sent a freebie of the new edition! Niceness! :biggrin:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
A few months ago I got into a argument with Derrick jensen ( author of Endgame etc) on his forum, i cut and pasted the discussion to paul kingsnorth at his e-mail blog address and got a interesting reply more or less backing up my viewpoint and requesting further ideas/pointers should i come across them...nice for the ego but have not got round to poking derrick any further shame since i agree with him 95% but he remains in denial over the realistic probability of any insurrection...

Smeggers

Ben Lovejoy said:
When I was a kid, I wrote to Isaac Asimov pointing out a problem I saw with the three laws of robotics, and received a two-page reply discussing the issue in some detail.
Are you that guy who owns the comic book store in The Simpsons?! :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Smeggers said:
Are you that guy who owns the comic book store in The Simpsons?! ;)

Worst laws of robotics EVER! :ohmy:

Flying_Monkey said:
Tove Janssen was a wondeful human being, that's why! Her adult work is very much worth reading too: 'The Summer Book' is just beautiful...

I agree entirely! It would make an enjoyable film, in a documentary-type style in the first person.

I also have 'A Winter Book' should you want it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
I wrote to Steven Fry a few years ago inviting him to our wedding. It was just after Prince Charles' wedding and I thought Steven Fry looked fab in his tops and tails, so suggested he might like to wear it again to ours, and lured him in with the promise of sausage & mash, and apple crumble! Didn't hear anything for months (didn't expect to, it was a bit of a laugh) and then had this wonderful, very Steven Fry letter back saying he had a prior engagement but was disappointed as he was partial to sausage and mash.

I've loved him ever since.

Yes, I wrote to Stephen Fry a couple of times and always got nice replies - short, but obviously personal, not generic.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Do you write to them via their publishers, stalk them or are they so famous that

Kurt Vonnegut
USA

would suffice?

There seems to be a preponderance of SF authors mentioned here too.

SamNichols

rich p said:
Do you write to them via their publishers, stalk them or are they so famous that

Kurt Vonnegut
USA

would suffice?

There seems to be a preponderance of SF authors mentioned here too.

I don't think that you'll get a reply from Kurt Vonnegut. Perhaps if you wrote:
Kurt Vonnegut
The After Life.

It really depends on the author, sometimes you have to get in touch via an agent, sometimes you can find their emails easily. Plus, you can always talk to them at literary festivals.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Dayvo said:
I agree entirely! It would make an enjoyable film, in a documentary-type style in the first person.

I also have 'A Winter Book' should you want it.

Thank-you for the offer but I have it already - an interesting but much more uneven collection IMHO.

Top Bottom