Replies from Authors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cathryn said:
The summer book IS beautiful. Is the winter book as good?

No - but it is a different thing: a collection of stories and bits and pieces, not a coherent thing. It is definitely still worth reading and there are some wonderful stories, but don't expect it to be the same. Calling it 'The Winter Book' was a piece of marketing based on the success of the The Summer Book in translation.

Cathryn said:
The summer book IS beautiful. Is the winter book as good?

Flying Monkey's post was very astute!

If you would like it let me know, and I'll happily send it to you.

Not strictly Scandinavian (being Finnish) this fella is worth reading (I read him translated into Swedish)

http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~rtp1/nordic/literature/paasilinna.html

but one book, apparently has been translated into English.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'd love to borrow it actually if that's okay - i'll pm you

have you read 'troll' by Johanna Sinisalo? Finnish as well, I think. Dark as hell but absolutely stunning!

Maz

Guru
I've done a fair bit of Spanish-English translation on a voluntary basis. Stuff like User manuals, holiday brochures and the like. Not quite in the same league as novels, though!

catwoman

I e-mailed Monty Don some time ago before his Gardners World presenter career. He had an article in the Observer and he asked for any tips on obtaining organic compost. I mentioned the sad demise of "Real Gardens" on Channel 4 and was pleased to get a personal reply back discussing the loss of the programme (which was really very good and very real - no stupid drastic make-overs). It made my day to get a friendly personalised reply. he was going to follow-up on my tip about organic compost as well.
I'm very sad about his illness currently and hope he makes a full recovery.

redcogs

Guru
catwoman said:
I e-mailed Monty Don some time ago before his Gardners World presenter career. He had an article in the Observer and he asked for any tips on obtaining organic compost. I mentioned the sad demise of "Real Gardens" on Channel 4 and was pleased to get a personal reply back discussing the loss of the programme (which was really very good and very real - no stupid drastic make-overs). It made my day to get a friendly personalised reply. he was going to follow-up on my tip about organic compost as well.
I'm very sad about his illness currently and hope he makes a full recovery.

Ditto catwoman. He seems such a decent sort, confirmed by his email reply to you.

Get well soon Monty.

I once spent a night in the pub with Barry Hines, the author of Kes (or Kestrel for a Knave to give it it's correct title). Great night out especially as his book was made into my all time fave film. Nice bloke but he didn't get his round it.

Uncle Mort said:
I sent an email to someone who'd written a book on artificial intelligence pointing out a mistake in a snippet of Prolog code. He sent me a snotty reply and the next edition dropped the example completely. Yes, you, Mr. Ford :ohmy:

No-one likes a smart-arse.:thumbsup:

Tetedelacourse

Obree never wrote back to me, but then I just wanted to let him know how his story made me feel, so no need really.

Top Bottom