Report or don't report?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Cycling through the park behind South Gyle station last night, which is fairly close to the beginning of my home leg. A bunch of kids who I'd guess were average age about 11, picked up loads of leaves as they saw me approaching. As I passed them they threw them at me. Even though I knew they were going to do it I still somehow nearly fell off! I hadn't slowed down or anything because some silly part of me kept saying "nah, they wont, they wont".

After the event, I just kept going as:

a) I wanted to get home as quick as possible (as usual)
:blush: I was cleated in, and
c) I have my doubts about whether you can lawfully hit an 11 yr old

It sounds pretty comical now but I was pretty pissed off at the time.

As I picked the leaves off my velcro etc I wondered what the best course of action would be. Am still wondering if I should do anything about it NOW?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm afraid I can't imagine reporting it would do more than waste your time. Being a park, is there any sort of park keeper on hand? In the old days I'd imagine there might be and he'd be the sort of bloke who'd keep an eye open for kids like that and send them home with a flea in their ears. Nowadays I suspect a bloke comes in a van to lock the gates at night, if that...

You might have a word with Papercorn. He has some good ideas...

I agree with Arch can't imagine that reporting it would be any more than a waste of your time and even if it was followed up (unlikely) I cant see muvh happening. The cynic in me says if they (the kids) found out how much it annoyed you they would just try it again to wind you up knowing they can't be touched.

Cab

When faced with similar, I'll confess that I've growled at kids in such a way as to make them doubt whether I'm a soft target. I remember once seeing some brats snowballing cyclists in front of me, as I approached I gave them such a venomous outburst they left me well alone.

Doesn't always work, but generally does. And probably highly illegal, but its that or just accept being assaulted.

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
i guess an airzound would have been useful on that occasion.

Hee hee. I have an image of the kids jumping out their skins mid-throw, and ending up covered in the leaves themselves.

Or some sort of wind generator on the bike, to blow the leaves back at them.

You're right Tete, it does sound trivial looking back, but we all know how annoying this sort of crap is. And you couldn't be sure they hadn't picked a few rocks up with the leaves. Consider your rant listened to with a sympathetic ear and a cup of tea.

Are the kids round your neck of the woods soft or something ? Round here, they'd have shoved a stick in your front wheel and then disembowelled you ! Leaves ain't much in the scheme of things.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

I thought about getting my pump in hand and rattling one of them as I moved past, or a fully loaded water bottle. but I suspect that may escalate the situation as HlaB points out and next time it might be stones, sticks or worst of all, dog shoot. That would definitely result in me getting into bother with the law.

Now if that happened to me and I was filming it I would probably have done something about it (the police could have had a wee chat wit their parents). Otherwise as others have said, probably not worth it. The airzound idea does appeal though :blush:

Report it TDLC and make a fuss that this is eactly the kind of the that CPSO's are supposed to be out and about for.

This kind of thing seems low level, but those very same kids could get bigger and stronger and start throwing heavy stuff at you and other cyclists. This kind of low level prank should not be let rest, and the more people start reporting this kind of thing there will come a point when someone has to listen.

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Report it TDLC and make a fuss that this is eactly the kind of the that CPSO's are supposed to be out and about for.

This kind of thing seems low level, but those very same kids could get bigger and stronger and start throwing heavy stuff at you and other cyclists. This kind of low level prank should not be let rest, and the more people start reporting this kind of thing there will come a point when someone has to listen.

And I suppose you never did anything like this when you were a kid? Did you sit in the corner and read physics books?

Tetedelacourse said:
Ah yes. So essentially it's Prettyboy Tim's fault for winning the ATC2000. Tim, I hope you're happy with yourself.

Actually it's probably my mothers fault. I will go and reprimand her:

Magnatom: Mother, it's your fault that a man was assaulted with some leaves, and didn't have any evidence to take to the police. What have you got to say for yourself?
Magnatoms mum: I'll turn over a new leaf, son.....

"This kind of low level prank should not be let rest, and the more people start reporting this kind of thing there will come a point when someone has to listen."

Fine in theory, but would you prefer the police to be dealing with real crime or chasing after leaf tossers ?

Top Bottom