Reported Road Casualties of Great Britain 2018 released

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm sure it'll appear in more detail on Cyclestreets Bikedata before long, but I've thrown the Reported Road Casualties of Great Britain 2018 (released yesterday) cycle-involved fatal and serious incidents onto an interactive map at https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/2018-cycle-ksis-from-rrcgb_369394

I strongly suggest using the data layers icon (the bottom one on the left to me, round layers stacked) to hide the data until you've zoomed in to the area that interests you, else it may be rather slow.

If you want more detail, looking the Accident_Index up in the Vehicles and Casualties tables from https://data.gov.uk/dataset/cb7ae6f0-4be6-4935-9277-47e5ce24a11f/road-safety-data will give you a little more detail, but you'll also need the "Lookup up tables for variables" from the section below.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The first link doesn’t work for me. Would be interesting I guess.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
All weekdays and what I would call commuting time round here. One is at traffic lights coming out from a supermarket.

Nothing in the country lanes, mostly roads that will be busy with rush hour traffic. Some roundabout clusters further south.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Does the junction detail number tell you whether it was a junction or roundabout? I would be unterested to know how many are at junctions and roundabouts. How much was a driver pulling out in front of a cyclist. Plus how many are during what you might call rush hour and how many are at night?

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

the "Lookup up tables for variables" will decode the junction detail codes. I'm not near my copy now but willpost it when I am if no-one else has. I'll also ask my database how many are rush hours: 8am-9am and 5pm-6pm OK?

Milzy

Guru
I'm sure it'll appear in more detail on Cyclestreets Bikedata before long, but I've thrown the Reported Road Casualties of Great Britain 2018 (released yesterday) cycle-involved fatal and serious incidents onto an interactive map at https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/2018-cycle-ksis-from-rrcgb_369394

I strongly suggest using the data layers icon (the bottom one on the left to me, round layers stacked) to hide the data until you've zoomed in to the area that interests you, else it may be rather slow.

If you want more detail, looking the Accident_Index up in the Vehicles and Casualties tables from https://data.gov.uk/dataset/cb7ae6f0-4be6-4935-9277-47e5ce24a11f/road-safety-data will give you a little more detail, but you'll also need the "Lookup up tables for variables" from the section below.
Scary stuff. There were two near my house, one of which was on a very small quiet street, so I’m not sure how they even managed that one.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Scary stuff. There were two near my house, one of which was on a very small quiet street, so I’m not sure how they even managed that one.
Searching the Vehicles spreadsheet for the Accident Index will tell you what manoeuvre each vehicle was making and the point of impact on each. Also, I've been told that the first vehicle is usually the one the police officer attending think was the main actor, but I think that is convention and I don't remember seeing it anywhere official.

Skanker

There is about 5 on the route I take to work, all seem to be early morning or late evening though so I’ll be in bed or in front of the tv. I still might take the towpath to work instead though as those roads are pretty brutal on your bike, even without crashing.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

It is worth remembering that Police are often accused of discouraging or even declining reports of casualties from non-carriageway roads, even though they should be included here. I don't remember whether towpaths are technically roads in law (and I suspect not) but I bet they aren't reported here even if they ought, so it may be a bit of a false comparison.

Skanker

It is worth remembering that Police are often accused of discouraging or even declining reports of casualties from non-carriageway roads, even though they should be included here. I don't remember whether towpaths are technically roads in law (and I suspect not) but I bet they aren't reported here even if they ought, so it may be a bit of a false comparison.
Vehicles are banned from towpaths around here, so if I have any accidents it would be my own fault and I’ll probably end up in a bush or taking a swim in the Thames.
The towpath does seem better quality than some of the roads to work and no sneaky pinch points that cut into cycling lanes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Vehicles are banned from towpaths around here, so if I have any accidents it would be my own fault and I’ll probably end up in a bush or taking a swim in the Thames.
Or another cyclist... But bikes are vehicles too and banning anything from roads don't stop them being roads in law. A road has to be "stopped up" by a legal process to stop it being a road.

Skanker

The A3050, Oatland’s Drive in Walton on Thames is a killer!
Hidden drains with gaps that can swallow tires, pinch points that invade cycle lanes with no warning, brutal potholes and multiple hidden driveways owned by ignorant rich twats. I’m happy taking my chances on the towpath instead of that road!

Top Bottom