Reported Road Casualties of Great Britain 2018 released

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does the junction detail number tell you whether it was a junction or roundabout? I would be unterested to know how many are at junctions and roundabouts. How much was a driver pulling out in front of a cyclist. Plus how many are during what you might call rush hour and how many are at night?
Junction detail codes:
0 Not at or within 20 metres of junction
1 Approaching junction or waiting/parked at junction approach
2 Cleared junction or waiting/parked at junction exit
3 Leaving roundabout
4 Entering roundabout
5 Leaving main road
6 Entering main road
7 Entering from slip road
8 Mid Junction - on roundabout or on main road
-1 Data missing or out of range

How many are at junctions and roundabouts? 12443 at any sort of junctions and about 7000 at roundabouts. I think I cannot be exact about roundabouts because code 8 covers roundabouts and other junctions.

> nrow(cycle_accidents)
[1] 17820
> nrow(subset(cycle_accidents,!Junction_Detail==0&!Junction_Detail==-1))
[1] 12443
> nrow(subset(cycle_accidents,is.element(Junction_Detail,c(3,4))))
[1] 6640
> nrow(subset(cycle_accidents,is.element(Junction_Detail,c(3,4,8))))
[1] 7181

How much was a driver pulling out in front of a cyclist? Well, there were 685 cyclist-injuring collisions entering junctions where the first vehicle was a car with first point of impact on the offside or nearside. Far more collisions involved a side of a car at a junction exit, totalling 2339 collisions (same calculation with junction detail codes 4,6,7 replaced with 2,3,5). Switching to first point of impact on the front of the car, there were 991 collisions on entry and 3687 on exit.

Stepping outside the numbers for a moment to comment: this sort of makes sense to me because cyclists can see drivers better at entries and brake or avoid more easily, whereas at exits, cars tend to be coming from behind and collisions can be from left-hooking or shunting which are more difficult to avoid.

> indexes_of_interest <- subset(cycle_accidents,is.element(Junction_Detail,c(4,6,7)),select=Accident_Index)
> nrow(subset(Vehicles,Vehicle_Reference=="1"&is.element(Accident_Index,indexes_of_interest$Accident_Index)&is.element(X1st_Point_of_Impact,c(3,4))))
[1] 685

How many are during what you might call rush hour? 6155
> cycle_accidents_weekday <- subset(cycle_accidents,!is.element(Day_of_Week,c(1,7)))
> nrow(cycle_accidents_weekday)
[1] 14385
> nrow(subset(cycle_accidents_weekday,grepl("(0[678]:|16:[345]|17:|18:[012])",Time)))
[1] 6155

How many are at night? 3719 incidents had a light code for some sort of darkness.
> nrow(subset(cycle_accidents,is.element(Light_Conditions,c(4,5,6,7))))
[1] 3719

What does all that tell us?

Jody

Stubborn git
There was apparently a fatality near to me last year. I remember a couple of instances where the police shut the road but had no idea one was a fatality. I've tried googling it but to no avail.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There was apparently a fatality near to me last year. I remember a couple of instances where the police shut the road but had no idea one was a fatality. I've tried googling it but to no avail.
A fatality will be recorded in this data if the casualty dies as a result within 30 days. The press don't cover every incident and the police don't do news releases for all of them. There's a serious injury incident local to me which seems to have had no press coverage and local riders don't seem to know anything about.

The excellent Bez has compiled https://beyondthekerb.org.uk/casebook/ for fatalities in 2015-2017, but not 2018 AFAIK. It also links to a discussion of the differences between what we know about (usually from press or clubs), what we might consider cyclist casualties, and the STATS19 reports which make up RRCGB.

icowden

Veteran
The A3050, Oatland’s Drive in Walton on Thames is a killer!
Hidden drains with gaps that can swallow tires, pinch points that invade cycle lanes with no warning, brutal potholes and multiple hidden driveways owned by ignorant rich twats. I’m happy taking my chances on the towpath instead of that road!

Yep, Standard Surrey Quality Road. But no injuries or fatalities on the map thank goodness.

Top Bottom