reporting bad driving behaviour in manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
greater manchester police have an online portal for reporting bad driving behaviour.

https://www.gmp.police.uk/ro/report/rti/report-a-road-traffic-incident/

having reviewed my onboard camera footage yesterday, i put in a report on a driver who made a close pass and then turned left in front of me.

communication has been good. they send an email with a link to upload your footage to dropbox.

the outcome could be anything from a trip to court to a telling off, should hear within 10 days.

be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it…

icowden

Veteran
Just tried using the Met Police's equivalent after a black cab did a close pass on me followed by driving the cyclist in front of me off the road last night.

The site seemed to be effective but the video upload facility wouldn't work. Have given them a Google Drive link. Be interesting to see whether it goes anywhere.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IME GMP are pretty good at following up poor driving.
Edit. You will probably find the outcome will be a drive education course. I can't recall any reports I have made going to court.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Round here this the portal they use when you report bad driving.

steel-galvanised-dustbin-c-w-lid-p1583-4093_image.jpg

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
You will probably find the outcome will be a drive education course. I can't recall any reports I have made going to court.
that's a good outcome. not to mention them moaning to all and sundry that you don't know which cyclists have cameras (mine's under the bars rather than helmet mounted). might make more people be more careful…

bonker

Guru
I was in Manchester at the end of last week, thankfully not on a bike.

I cycle in London but I couldn't believe the bad driving in Manchester. In one cab on a short journey the driver: ran a red light, sat in a yellow box, cut multiple cyclists up, one about three times so much so he started remonstrating with the driver, I said to the driver " didn't you see him" and he just pretended not to understand me. He also mounted the pavement to get around a queue, nearly knocking the same guy off.
The following morning the hotel called a cab and the driver didn't know where the Mancheter Central convention centre was, or Brannigans. I ended up putting my phone on to give him directions, didn't stop him running a red.

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru

I cycle in London but I couldn't believe the bad driving in Manchester. In one cab on a short journey the driver: ran a red light, sat in a yellow box, cut multiple cyclists up, one about three times so much so he started remonstrating with the driver, I said to the driver " didn't you see him" and he just pretended not to understand me. He also mounted the pavement to get around a queue, nearly knocking the same guy off.
The following morning the hotel called a cab and the driver didn't know where the Mancheter Central convention centre was, or Brannigans. I ended up putting my phone on to give him directions, didn't stop him running a red.

Two years ago you'd rarely see a cab registered to another city where as now they're very very common. I've worked in the city 25 years and over the past 2-3 years the standard has become shocking. Yellow boxes are ignored as are red lights very often. Junctions filled so you don't have to wait for another cycle of light change which means the joining lanes cannot exit...it has become horrific.

nickAKA

Über Member
Two years ago you'd rarely see a cab registered to another city where as now they're very very common. I've worked in the city 25 years and over the past 2-3 years the standard has become shocking. Yellow boxes are ignored as are red lights very often. Junctions filled so you don't have to wait for another cycle of light change which means the joining lanes cannot exit...it has become horrific.

A symptom of the wider issue - no police on the roads. Laws are great when there's someone around to enforce them.

Hicky

Guru
I must admit I've only seen the Police take action once in Mcr(which was only a month ago) ref driving issues. A good friend is a Copper in Mcr and he's usually too busy with idiots and pissheads and the unfortunate in society(for whatever circumstances) who take up the majority of his time.

nickAKA

Über Member
I must admit I've only seen the Police take action once in Mcr(which was only a month ago) ref driving issues. A good friend is a Copper in Mcr and he's usually too busy with idiots and pissheads and the unfortunate in society(for whatever circumstances) who take up the majority of his time.

I've got a mate who's recently retired from traffic, he said the same. He worked out of the main nick in Bolton (massive place) and said on evenings & weekends there would literally be 4 staff on site. Cutbacks, austerity, call it what you will, it's on it's a4$e

straas

Matt

To be fair, brannigans doesn't exist any more, it's albert schloss / albert hall now.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Manchester hasn’t a patch on Bolton when it comes to bad drivers :laugh: It is a free for all and not a nice place to commute to either on a bike or in a car. Red lights and speed limits are definitely not understood.
The first two days back for the school run goons ended up with road closures due to a three car smash with one ending up in a front garden..... this was in a 30 zone !
Next day, not far from the same spot, another “ sedate” driver stuffs their car ...... “ of course I was within the speed limit Officer” It’s scary how many dangerous drivers have ( or haven’t) got a licence

D

Deleted member 26715

It's pandemic not just the wrong side of the hill (Lancashire not Yorkshire), I was coming through the village last Sunday, there's a small open area between the 2 villages where it's 30mph & has pedestrian refuges, I always move out to take the middle line through them as I've had cars squeeze through with me before. This car decided he didn't like that so overtook me around the wrong side of the refuge, then caught up the learner driver in front & promptly over took them around the wrong side of the refuge, the learner was doing 30 in a 30, suspect the car was doing over 45mph.

Top Bottom