Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That doesn't follow remotely. If however a driver goes through red lights, whatever the reason, that of course is dangerous driving, and worth reporting. Assuming he will do this as a consequence of looking at a mobile phone whilst stationary is an example of the potentially over zealous reporting I'm referring to.
I didn't say I assume he will do it, I said I've seen it on multiple occasions. I didn't report it, but if an accident had occurred as a result I would hang around for the police and tell them about what behaviour I had witnessed. Just because an accident doesn't occur doesn't mean they are driving safely.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Great link, though it doesn't mention anything about 'using a mobile phone whilst driving'. It does mention speeding or dangerous driving, which is what should be reported. I think the obsession with mobile phone use is wrong. According to official figures, it accounts for maybe up to 20 deaths per year, and this figure seems to have increased since it became a criminal offence.

Bottom line is dangerous driving is dangerous driving, IF it's caused by mobile phone use, report the dangerous driving. If it's caused by smoking, report it, radio us, kids, whatever the cause, if it's dangerous driving, report it. Don't report somebody for dangerous driving it they are not, whether you personally approve of mobile phone use behind the wheel or not (and I should make the point that I don't), but to report somebody for dangerous driving purely on the basis that they are using a mobile phone, I would say is a false report.

According to official statistics, mobile phone distraction is a factor in 0.8% of accidents, nearly all are simply caused by driver error. 3.2% are caused by bad road layout. For full details see link below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8702111/How-do-accidents-happen.html

It's up to the Police to enforce the law, the link is useful to assist them in their duty, but it should be used properly.

Perhaps understandably, you are not aware that RoadSafe's role and remit has changed since the OP as has the content of the web page.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It seemed like a somewhat bizarre post, and designed to antagonise, not recognising the point of my posts. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit as a driver? Have you witnessed drivers doing so? Do you report every incident of speeding? Have you witnessed cyclists jumping red lights? Have you taken a full description and reported it to the Police? Have you ever encountered illegal downloading or broadcast of copyright materials? Do you report each incident?

The point is, there are probably countless incidents of 'illegal activity' which we witness. If we did not exercise a modicum of discretion in reporting, we would waste a lot of our time, and the police systems would basically crash, preventing anybody from reporting more serious incidents which are more deserving of attention.

I can assure you any antagonism you experienced was not my intention.

Mobile phone use when driving is an epidemic, because it's still socially acceptable. And the reason it's still socially acceptable is because people don't bother to do anything about it.

I'd suggest that a driver who thinks it's ok to use their phone when stationary or slowly moving is the type of driver who thinks it's acceptable at other times.

So yes, I think it's always worthwhile reporting mobile phone use.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Mobile use is huge in my experience, unfortunately my camera is fixed. I think it has got worse since it was an offence at least when they could use it they used to have it at eyelevel on the wheel now its below on their lap to hide the use, as if it wasn't obvious anyway. If my camera was able to record use I would report every single one. I think it should have the same penalty as drink driving removal of the licence maybe 3 months for the first offence.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I must be frank and clear guys. On my ride today, I experienced a close pass, which really clarified things for me.

I don't give a flying F*** what people do within their car, except when it causes them to put my life, and that of my son who is riding with me, in jeopardy.

This is the point I'm making. Don't focus on bs annoyances, focus on what's important. I'm sure each of us has experiences of drivers poor judgement which has put us at risk. Why not focus on that, and only that ffs. Not worry about whether other behaviours could lead to a dangerous situation.

In these times of Police cuts, surely it's better for us to help them to focus on catching the actual bad guys, the hit and run/ accident caused/ road rage/ dangerous overtake etc. Not the 'using mobile phone so could cause danger', since mobile phone use is one of many in car behaviours which could cause danger, and it's just totally pointless to focus on one, and ignore the others, especially when the figures show mobile phone use is a factor in incredibly few actual accidents (although the few it does factor in certainly garner lots of press).

That's in from me, I can't be any clearer, and if you still don't get what I'm saying you never will.

Texting while driving deaths have just overtaken drunk driving as the biggest killer of young Americans. Phone use is implicated in a quarter of all US road collisions. The roads are filled with enough terrible drivers as it is, idiots playing with phones are four times more likely to have a collision. And we're catching up, the latest figures aren't in yet:

Department for Transport figures reveal that 378 accidents specifically involving mobile phone use were reported in 2012 — more than any year on record. Those accidents resulted in 548 casualties, including 17 deaths.

But motoring experts say that this figure gives a false impression of the true scale of the problem, as many cases involving phones are classed instead as an "in-vehicle distraction". In-vehicle distractions led to 9,012 accidents and 196 deaths between 2010 and 2012.

When these figures are combined the total number of deaths is 213, only 27 less than are caused by drink driving. And with the current steep decline of drink drive deaths, mobile phone distraction is expected to become the biggest cause of death on the roads by 2015.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/201...iggest-killer-on-british-roads-by-2015/53049/

Worse than drink driving. Drink drivers are scum, so are idiots playing with phones, and they're becoming more likely to hurt people than drink drivers are.

That's cos "In-car distractions" are listed separately.

motoring experts say that this figure gives a false impression of the true scale of the problem, as many cases involving phones are classed instead as an "in-vehicle distraction". In-vehicle distractions led to 9,012 accidents and 196 deaths between 2010 and 2012.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I must be frank and clear guys. On my ride today, I experienced a close pass, which really clarified things for me.

I don't give a flying F*** what people do within their car, except when it causes them to put my life, and that of my son who is riding with me, in jeopardy.

This is the point I'm making. Don't focus on bs annoyances, focus on what's important. I'm sure each of us has experiences of drivers poor judgement which has put us at risk. Why not focus on that, and only that ffs. Not worry about whether other behaviours could lead to a dangerous situation.

In these times of Police cuts, surely it's better for us to help them to focus on catching the actual bad guys, the hit and run/ accident caused/ road rage/ dangerous overtake etc. Not the 'using mobile phone so could cause danger', since mobile phone use is one of many in car behaviours which could cause danger, and it's just totally pointless to focus on one, and ignore the others, especially when the figures show mobile phone use is a factor in incredibly few actual accidents (although the few it does factor in certainly garner lots of press).

That's in from me, I can't be any clearer, and if you still don't get what I'm saying you never will.
Do you not think it possible that some of those close passes that you are worried about are distracted by their mobile phones?

These criminal drivers are massively under-reported. Drivers are stationary and get rear-ended, it just goes through the insurance, no police involvement and no penalty for the driver playing with their phone.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Mobile phone drivers ARE dangerous.

The only explanation that comes to mind as to why @bozmandb9 tolerates mobile phone use when driving is that he does it.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I've just passed a car (I'm in a car too on the motorway), which has mounted their phone on their mirror!:eek:
I am amazed the EU does not follow some US states in that there is a total ban of anything attached to the windowscreen. Spme cars that pass me have those huge tablet phones bang in the middle and a Satnav on the other side with wires hanging down etc, farking madness really when you think about it, even without the distraction element the blind spots are farking ridiculous. Worst still I have seen them bang in the middle of the drivers eye line

Top Bottom