1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reporting mobile use while driving

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Twenty Inch, 4 Mar 2010.

1. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Err ... you don't get that many elderly people driving buses? And it was professional drivers who I consider reporting, others I don't bother, I'd spend all day reporting drivers if I reported all the dodgy driving I see, (or not even driving, today there is a car I pass that can't fit onto it's drive way so parks across the path, and that meant an elderly person in a buggy had to go on the road to pass, I might report that one as I've chatted to the policemen who covers that patch quite frequently and I think he would have a word with them, as they are a repeat offender!).

Anyone I see using a phone is not concentrating on the road, I've seen them weaving, or sitting at the lights even when all the cars in front have gone, or just stopped in the middle of the road. You aren't do using on the road therefore you are a danger to yourself and more importantly to all the other road users.

2. summerdays

You imply that looking for drivers on their mobiles means you aren't focused on the road but I find that it's being aware of other road users and what they are doing helps to keep you safe so that you give more space to those who you know aren't paying attention.

Lonestar likes this.
  3. bozmandb9

bozmandb9 Insert witty title here

I must be going blind or mind then, I can't see where you mentioned bus drivers!

Oh, and difficult to define not moving on the road as dangerous driving!

Anyway, not trying to wind anybody up here, just making the point that drivers aren't 'the enemy', and an antagonistic or aggressive approach towards them will only make the situation worse. A lot of drivers get really wound up about cyclists with head cams becoming self appointed judges of driving behaviour.

Again, I'm not 'on their side'. I'm just saying don't make the situation worse. I've been a victim of dangerous and aggressive driving, hence it's important to me that Police focus on the important cases, where the danger is severe, and/or injury has been done. Plus I'd rather we don't make the situation in the UK like it seems to be in Australia, with severe problems between drivers and cyclists.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2016
  4. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

@bozmandb9 doesn't think illegal activity should be reported to the police.

5. bozmandb9

I think the reporting mechanism should be used as intended, i.e. to report dangerous driving. Are you trolling by any chance? Please see my recent comments if not, and please stop if you are.

6. benb

Using a mobile phone whilst driving is a specific offence. Reporting mechanisms are in place to report crime, are they not?
    Someone disagreeing with you != trolling.

7. summerdays

If they aren't moving but suddenly look up realise the traffic in front has moved they set off and do things like go through red traffic lights. And yes I have seen that.

8. jefmcg

jefmcg Apparently I shouldn't use the default, "guru"

This is true, but it's not what makes mobiles so dangerous. People used to do the same with a newspaper or magazine*. What makes mobiles especially dangerous is they way they ping and distract you while you are moving

*there was a joke old joke - Dave Allen or similar - saying if the guy in front of you is reading a newspaper in a traffic jam, sound your horn loudly and then watch him drive straight into the car in front.

summerdays likes this.
  9. bozmandb9

That doesn't follow remotely. If however a driver goes through red lights, whatever the reason, that of course is dangerous driving, and worth reporting. Assuming he will do this as a consequence of looking at a mobile phone whilst stationary is an example of the potentially over zealous reporting I'm referring to.

10. bozmandb9

It seemed like a somewhat bizarre post, and designed to antagonise, not recognising the point of my posts. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit as a driver? Have you witnessed drivers doing so? Do you report every incident of speeding? Have you witnessed cyclists jumping red lights? Have you taken a full description and reported it to the Police? Have you ever encountered illegal downloading or broadcast of copyright materials? Do you report each incident?

The point is, there are probably countless incidents of 'illegal activity' which we witness. If we did not exercise a modicum of discretion in reporting, we would waste a lot of our time, and the police systems would basically crash, preventing anybody from reporting more serious incidents which are more deserving of attention.

11. bozmandb9

I see now, I was replying to your subsequent post, and had not seen that earlier one. Thanks for the clarification.

12. summerdays

I didn't say I assume he will do it, I said I've seen it on multiple occasions. I didn't report it, but if an accident had occurred as a result I would hang around for the police and tell them about what behaviour I had witnessed. Just because an accident doesn't occur doesn't mean they are driving safely.

bozmandb9 likes this.
  13. Origamist

Origamist Guru

Perhaps understandably, you are not aware that RoadSafe's role and remit has changed since the OP as has the content of the web page.

14. benb

I can assure you any antagonism you experienced was not my intention.

Mobile phone use when driving is an epidemic, because it's still socially acceptable. And the reason it's still socially acceptable is because people don't bother to do anything about it.

I'd suggest that a driver who thinks it's ok to use their phone when stationary or slowly moving is the type of driver who thinks it's acceptable at other times.

So yes, I think it's always worthwhile reporting mobile phone use.

15. Andrew_P

Andrew_P In between here and there

Mobile use is huge in my experience, unfortunately my camera is fixed. I think it has got worse since it was an offence at least when they could use it they used to have it at eyelevel on the wheel now its below on their lap to hide the use, as if it wasn't obvious anyway. If my camera was able to record use I would report every single one. I think it should have the same penalty as drink driving removal of the licence maybe 3 months for the first offence.

summerdays and Banjo like this.