1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reporting mobile use while driving

Discussion in 'Commuting and Utility Cycling' started by Twenty Inch, 4 Mar 2010.

1. bozmandb9

bozmandb9 Insert witty title here

I must be frank and clear guys. On my ride today, I experienced a close pass, which really clarified things for me.

I don't give a flying F*** what people do within their car, except when it causes them to put my life, and that of my son who is riding with me, in jeopardy.

This is the point I'm making. Don't focus on bs annoyances, focus on what's important. I'm sure each of us has experiences of drivers poor judgement which has put us at risk. Why not focus on that, and only that ffs. Not worry about whether other behaviours could lead to a dangerous situation.

In these times of Police cuts, surely it's better for us to help them to focus on catching the actual bad guys, the hit and run/ accident caused/ road rage/ dangerous overtake etc. Not the 'using mobile phone so could cause danger', since mobile phone use is one of many in car behaviours which could cause danger, and it's just totally pointless to focus on one, and ignore the others, especially when the figures show mobile phone use is a factor in incredibly few actual accidents (although the few it does factor in certainly garner lots of press).

That's in from me, I can't be any clearer, and if you still don't get what I'm saying you never will.

Stinboy likes this.
  2. glenn forger

glenn forger Guest

What figures?

3. bozmandb9

bozmandb9 Insert witty title here

4. glenn forger

glenn forger Guest

Texting while driving deaths have just overtaken drunk driving as the biggest killer of young Americans. Phone use is implicated in a quarter of all US road collisions. The roads are filled with enough terrible drivers as it is, idiots playing with phones are four times more likely to have a collision. And we're catching up, the latest figures aren't in yet:

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/201...iggest-killer-on-british-roads-by-2015/53049/

Worse than drink driving. Drink drivers are scum, so are idiots playing with phones, and they're becoming more likely to hurt people than drink drivers are.

Lonestar likes this.
  5. glenn forger

glenn forger Guest

That's cos "In-car distractions" are listed separately.

6. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

Do you not think it possible that some of those close passes that you are worried about are distracted by their mobile phones?

Lonestar likes this.
  7. glenn forger

glenn forger Guest

These criminal drivers are massively under-reported. Drivers are stationary and get rear-ended, it just goes through the insurance, no police involvement and no penalty for the driver playing with their phone.

8. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

Mobile phone drivers ARE dangerous.

The only explanation that comes to mind as to why @bozmandb9 tolerates mobile phone use when driving is that he does it.

Lonestar likes this.
  9. summerdays

I've just passed a car (I'm in a car too on the motorway), which has mounted their phone on their mirror!:eek:

10. Andrew_P

Andrew_P In between here and there

I am amazed the EU does not follow some US states in that there is a total ban of anything attached to the windowscreen. Spme cars that pass me have those huge tablet phones bang in the middle and a Satnav on the other side with wires hanging down etc, farking madness really when you think about it, even without the distraction element the blind spots are farking ridiculous. Worst still I have seen them bang in the middle of the drivers eye line

CopperCyclist likes this.
  11. Stinboy

Stinboy Well-Known Member

I hope you weren't driving when you posted that ;)

12. summerdays

Of course not....:ohmy::biggrin: I even checked Mr Summerdays phone for him when it went beep to find out what it was!

13. Absinthe Minded

Absinthe Minded Veteran

Brilliant - many thanks for this.

14. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

Passed a cyclist on the return commute (last night) on the CS 3 who was happily staring into his phone.What a complete moron.

15. Roadrider48

Roadrider48 Voice of the people

You do know, don't you, that cyclists are above any wrong doing.
    It is impossible for a cyclist to act improperly- after all, they have Jesus on their side.
    Just ask some of the people here, they'll put you right on that!

Lonestar likes this.