Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People in London can report mobile-phone-using drivers on the following form:

http://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

The form takes about 5 mins to fill in, and can be sent anonymously. It is also relevant for other gross traffic offences. I have sent in several forms and correspondence with the admin officers shows that they are very keen indeed to get details of "those who consider themselves above the law" in their words. There is even a drop-down choice for "cycling near-misses". We should support this effort to change the enforcement environment in favour of the general good.

If people are aware of other schemes around the country, perhaps they could also post details?

Admin, could we have a sticky?

Cheers

TI
Brilliant - many thanks for this.

Lonestar

Veteran
Passed a cyclist on the return commute (last night) on the CS 3 who was happily staring into his phone.What a complete moron.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Passed a cyclist on the return commute (last night) on the CS 3 who was happily staring into his phone.What a complete moron.
You do know, don't you, that cyclists are above any wrong doing.
It is impossible for a cyclist to act improperly- after all, they have Jesus on their side.
Just ask some of the people here, they'll put you right on that!

Lonestar

Veteran
You do know, don't you, that cyclists are above any wrong doing.
It is impossible for a cyclist to act improperly- after all, they have Jesus on their side.
Just ask some of the people here, they'll put you right on that!

Yes I do realise I am not perfect and I try to play the good guy and don't always get it right.That doesn't mean I jump the reds because it suits me and nobody else or use a mobile while cycling or walking up the street.

Then again I'm old enough now to know what happens when you (not you,me).Cycle like an idiot.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
The difference is that the cyclist is not breaking the law

Yeah I forgot and of course this makes it ok.That's a pretty shocking and stupid assessment but then again why should I be surprised about the stupidity on here? More than once I've been overtaken by the latest red light jumping no lights clown on one of the Cycle Superhighways while he stares at his phone or is engaged in a call.

Last edited:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I hadn't noticed that on my phone. No you are pointing it out, I'm putting you on ignore.
Ok ?????
Don't know how I have offended you but, OK.
Now you get put on ignore because you vote out. LOL's many, many times over.
Absolutely pathetic, childish behaviour. But the choice is yours, as it was mine to vote out.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Your signature and avatar are childishly gloating. Fine, do what you like. But for some reason you mentioned it in a post, for no reason I can comprehend. On that basis, I am not sure why you would think I'd be interested in anything else you have to say.
That's fine, you can do what ever you wish.
I just find it childishly amusing that you would put me on ignore because of my avatar and sig.
But if it offends you that much, press that button.
I am fully entitled to express my opinion just the same as anyone else and if you find that "childishly gloating" then that's your problem to deal with.
I make no apology for my viewpoint on this subject.
Funny though, isn't it. That a handful of you people seem to condone the manipulation of the democratic process to try and satisfy your own ends, but when anyone has a different viewpoint they are viewed as evil or, as you said "childishly gloating"

Lonestar

Veteran
Mobile phones
Using ANY mobile phone when driving is dangerous

Using a mobile phone, sat nav or any similar device whilst driving means that the driver’s attention is distracted from the road.

The facts
  • Studies show that drivers using a hands-free or handheld mobile phone are slower at recognising and reacting to hazards.
  • Even careful drivers can be distracted by a call or text – and a split-second lapse in concentration could result in a crash.
The law
  • It's illegal to use a handheld mobile when driving.
  • This includes using your mobile phone to follow a map, read a text or check social media. This applies even if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.
  • You can only use a handheld phone if you are safely parked or need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop.
  • If you’re caught using a handheld phone while driving, you’ll get 3 penalty points on your licence and a fine of £100. Points on your licence will result in higher insurance costs.
  • If you get just 6 points in the first two years after passing your test, you will lose your licence.
  • You may use a hands-free phone while driving but you can still be prosecuted if you’re not in proper control of your vehicle. The penalties are same as being caught using a handheld phone.
  • The penalties for driving carelessly or dangerously when using a handheld or hands-free phone can include disqualification, a large fine and up to two years imprisonment.
Mobile phones and drivingOpens new window

THINK! Advice

Switch off before you drive off

Even if you’re using a hands-free phone you should avoid making or answering calls when driving
All phone calls distract drivers' attention from the road.

Park safely before using your mobile phone
Do not park on the hard shoulder of the motorway.

Don't call other people when they're driving
If you call someone and they tell you they are driving, ask them to call you back when they have parked up safely.

Anyway back to the law which is ignored to suit by quite a few road users.

Last edited:
ad214260440pic-from-mercury.jpg

Top Bottom