Reporting someone for just hitting the side of leg/pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
What sort of made up nonsense? That the OP assaulted the drivers car withnhis leg, leaving no damage? Its not an ironclad rule, but by and large offenders steer well clear of the dibble.

Playing games by trying to predict police behaviour while having no knowledge of their procedures or the rules that govern crime recording is likely to cause far more grief than simply being an honest citizen and promptly reporting a crime.

The OP has been a victim of crime, and my advice is to report it. Obviously, it's up to him if he decides not to, but if left unchallenged an offenders behaviour will escalate and it's likely that further down the line someone may get hurt. I've dealt with a road rage death in my career, and it's not nice - here's a potential opportunity to intervene with an offender before things can get to that stage.

Equally, there's a fair chance any investigation would go nowhere, but a fair chance becomes a certainty if nothing is reported. I don't want to live in a society where scumbags think they can behave like that, and I'd report such crimes every single time.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I would report it. Hopefully the car driver gets a home visit, and have the correct information about allowing cycles ‘the wrong way’ up the one way street in question explained to them.

U

User6179

What sort of made up nonsense? That the OP assaulted the drivers car withnhis leg, leaving no damage? Its not an ironclad rule, but by and large offenders steer well clear of the dibble.

Playing games by trying to predict police behaviour while having no knowledge of their procedures or the rules that govern crime recording is likely to cause far more grief than simply being an honest citizen and promptly reporting a crime.

The OP has been a victim of crime, and my advice is to report it. Obviously, it's up to him if he decides not to, but if left unchallenged an offenders behaviour will escalate and it's likely that further down the line someone may get hurt. I've dealt with a road rage death in my career, and it's not nice - here's a potential opportunity to intervene with an offender before things can get to that stage.

Equally, there's a fair chance any investigation would go nowhere, but a fair chance becomes a certainty if nothing is reported. I don't want to live in a society where scumbags think they can behave like that, and I'd report such crimes every single time.

I am not commenting on whether to report it or not or on this specific incident , I am just pointing out that taking a position of guilt or innocence based on who reports something first is bad policing.

Last edited by a moderator:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I would report it. Hopefully the car driver gets a home visit, and have the correct information about allowing cycles ‘the wrong way’ up the one way street in question explained to them.
I think its good to report with no expectation of a home visit - because policy and law these days is influenced by reported crime.

If all cyclists reported such incidents for one day, it would create an enormous spike in the stats. If they did it for a year, it would create an enormous awareness of the issues.

If you lament at the lenient penalties... and remain silent... then the problem won't be considered.

Last edited:

Serge

Über Member
Well I reported it. Not expecting much and part of me is a little confused. I mean this happens everyday to all of us - getting cut up, close passes etc.

I mean he was being a dick and I did chase the car down. How amfat can you get in london.

I am pleased I sustained no injuries.
Good on you, you did the right thing. Keep us updated.

This may not be his first or last offence, the police may just be waiting for the final strike before acting. This is road rage. He may not have hurt you, but what about the next more vulnerable individual he tries to intimidate. You have potentially used the opportunity to stop that from happening. A fellow I was riding with the other day after being on the receiving end of some abuse said he had reported a taxi driver who had 100 previous complaints and the police took immediate action, even without video evidence based on his history and the allegation made by this fellow.

Last edited:

OneArmedBandit

Different with taxi drivers though, police will likely refer it to the licensing committee. Does seem a bit worrying they waited for 100 complaints and however many unreported incidents before taking action.

I don't tend to report road rage because I get the feeling the police don't care. But of course by not reporting it you don't give them a chance.

Did the contraflow cycle lane not have markings? Around here they have lashings of paint. But I still don't like using them, because both drivers don't expect you to be there, and the minority of drivers who get enraged about cyclist having any "special" treatment. This one has attracted plenty of drivers trying to squeeze me off.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1sVpH9D8taZAOhNAoEIPYxTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

classic33

Leg End Member
This may not be his first or last offence, the police may just be waiting for the final strike before acting. This is road rage. He may not have hurt you, but what about the next more vulnerable individual he tries to intimidate. You have potentially used the opportunity to stop that from happening. A fellow I was riding with the other day after being on the receiving end of some abuse said he had reported a taxi driver who had 100 previous complaints and the police took immediate action, even without video evidence based on his history and the allegation made by this fellow.
Something like this warning to taxi drivers, helped for a while.
CAM00949-1.jpg
CAM00949-1.jpg

Top Bottom