Reporting someone for just hitting the side of leg/pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some car driver decided to tell me I was going the wrong way down a one way street. I wasn't as there is a cycle lane opposite the car flow.

As he was pissed at having to wait or squeeze past me, he yelled at me and then hit the side of my leg and pedal as he drove off.

I think it was his tire more than the car. Out of interest should I report this and if so how?

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Don't bother, you would be wasting your time.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes, report it.

Visit your local police station or call 101. The driver may have form for intimidating people on bikes, may not be properly entitled to drive or even be disqualified.
However, it's likely no action will be taken in relation to the undue care he showed by striking you unless you have a witness or video from a bike cam.

Was there injury to you or damage to the bike, even minor?

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
No, as he just hit my foot and pedal. I did think he had bent the pedal but was not sure. It seems OK, as I chased him down (it was a lot less dramatic) and took a pic of his reg. No cam as I don't carry one.

I realise it maybe a massive waste of time, as no one really gives a damn, but he just did not realise I could legally cycle down that road and I am guessing he was in a hurry

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I would also report it to the council, or whoever sanctions these 'against the traffic' cycles lanes.

humboldt

I would also report it to the council, or whoever sanctions these 'against the traffic' cycles lanes.
To be honest I quite like contraflow allowances for bikes on smaller one-way streets though. I think it should just generally be fine for bikes to take them as a rule anyway but a lot of drivers get very angry about it in my experience.

Drago

Legendary Member
Report it. It's quite possible nothing may happen, but if you don't report it then nothing will definitely happen. If it hit your leg there is a common assault, so they ought to be recording it as a crime. Don't take no for an answer on that, as crime recording rules compell them to record it as a crime, unless there is credible evidence to the contrary.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
To be honest I quite like contraflow allowances for bikes on smaller one-way streets though. I think it should just generally be fine for bikes to take them as a rule anyway but a lot of drivers get very angry about it in my experience.
I use them when I’m in town, but often get peds walking off the kerb without thinking it might be a two way flow, let alone cars drivers, in their little metal bubbles of solace, believing they are the only ones that should be allowed on the road.

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't report it. Total waste of your time causing you no end of grief and upset. You will probably be treated as having committed an offence yourself and then there are the counter allegations if the police were to trace and even catch up with the driver. Unless of course you were Jeremy Vine or a cop then it might be a different story.

Drago

Legendary Member
Home office guidance- counter allegations are to be disregarded, unless there is credible evidence to support the claim. This is the exact opposite rule that applies to a person making a report. This is because offenders are great bullpois'ers, and automatically half will blame the victim.

U

User6179

Home office guidance- counter allegations are to be disregarded, unless there is credible evidence to support the claim. This is the exact opposite rule that applies to a person making a report. This is because offenders are great bullpois'ers, and automatically half will blame the victim.

What if the car driver knowing he hit the OP went to the police first and reported him for some made up nonsense ?

Top Bottom