Rescuing injured animals - what would you do/have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Imagine..
If we all did that :blink:

Indeed, we could call it Free Speech 😄 now that would be interesting, especially on this forum^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Indeed, we could call it Free Speech 😄 now that would be interesting, especially on this forum^_^

And alongside that freedom which we currently enjoy comes responsibility.

Not to deliberately (or even unthinkingly) offend, incite hatred,
spread untruths, or to justify mistreatment of others who have less power.

If we can't self police all that, then I guess we shouldnt be surprised if someone intervenes from time to time.

FWIW I've been moderated on here, for being off topic, or even a tad 'off colour' now and then.

We consent to that by using this forum.

Compared to some I've been on, where its been a one man (and his cronies) operation, Cycle Chat is pretty free and fair and enlightened :okay:

If everyone gets a bit p''d off now and then by the Mods, then they're probs getting it about right.

Oh and back on distressed animals topic...

If you find a heavily pregnant ewe lying stranded on her back, do her a favour and tip her back the right way up again :okay:

a few years ago sitting on the harbour wall my friend and i noticed some commotion behind us. people fish off the pier and someone had left their rod with some bait on the line/hook. a seagull had come down to try and take it and the hook planted itself in its mouth :thumbsdown:
the person that owned the rod was nowhere to be seen so we headed over and i grabbed the bird while my friend struggled to get the hook out. the bird was in a bit of a state, took about 10mins to get the hook out, finally we did and it flew off

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've rescued sheep a couple of times; once in the Welsh mountains we came across a ewe stuck fast in a bog. A big group of students had just walked right past and done nothing. I removed my boots, socks and breeches and waded in behind her, got my arms under her belly and heaved her out. Got a round of applause from the students although some of them must have wondered what I was planning to do to the poor old girl!

Another time walking in the Bowland fells and I heard a rhythmic rattle coming from over a nearby rise, which didn't sound right. Walked over and found a ewe, lamb nearby, with her horn curled right round the bar of a gate and stuck fast. It took some effort to get her to bend her neck the way it needed to unhook the horn.

Neither sheep ever thanked me and I didn't get a video on social meejia.

Levo-Lon

Guru
And alongside that freedom which we currently enjoy comes responsibility.

Not to deliberately (or even unthinkingly) offend, incite hatred,
spread untruths, or to justify mistreatment of others who have less power.

If we can't self police all that, then I guess we shouldnt be surprised if someone intervenes from time to time.

FWIW I've been moderated on here, for being off topic, or even a tad 'off colour' now and then.

We consent to that by using this forum.

Compared to some I've been on, where its been a one man (and his cronies) operation, Cycle Chat is pretty free and fair and enlightened :okay:

If everyone gets a bit p''d off now and then by the Mods, then they're probs getting it about right.

Oh and back on distressed animals topic...

If you find a heavily pregnant ewe lying stranded on her back, do her a favour and tip her back the right way up again :okay:

My gran and grandad used to look after the Starkey Estate nr Padiham, i have many fond memories of that stone cottage on the estate.
Grandad was the dairy farmer and gran looked after the house.

Something special about a house with 2foot thick walls and views of open countryside.. Bloody cold in winter:laugh: but still perfect

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My gran and grandad used to look after the Starkey Estate nr Padiham, i have many fond memories of that stone cottage on the estate.
Grandad was the dairy farmer and gran looked after the house.

Something special about a house with 2foot thick walls and views of open countryside.. Bloody cold in winter:laugh: but still perfect

Thank goodness for decent woodburning stoves nowadays..

Home grown wood, naturally :whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The heating for the whole cottage was a open fire and the arga..
It was nearly 40 yr ago mind, none of this softy central heating malarkey :laugh: tough them northerners :laugh:

No central heating here not neither.

But then it's relentlessly sunny, and warm in Devon anyhows.. :rolleyes:

Another Sheep saving story, 2 months ago went to Cornwall to visit my aged mum with my GF. I took her for a long walk across the Cliffs ( GF not mother) and we came across a sheep who had tried to jump over a square link fence and onto a wall , there was a stone wall a foot from the barb wire topped square linked fence. The Sheep had both its back legs jammed through the top squares of the fence and its head and front jammed down the gap between fence and wall.
My GF who is a proper Essex townie girl was horrified that I was proposing to lift the rather heavy sheep as much as I could so she could free its back legs. I mucked about on farms as a child/ teenager so a sheep was not scary at all to me, but he was more than a bit worried. Anyway the plan worked, the sheep did not struggle at all despite me getting under its belly and basically squat lifting it on my shoulders. Sheep was released and GF was dead chuffed we had saved the sheep from suffering.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Another Sheep saving story, 2 months ago went to Cornwall to visit my aged mum with my GF. I took her for a long walk across the Cliffs ( GF not mother) and we came across a sheep who had tried to jump over a square link fence and onto a wall , there was a stone wall a foot from the barb wire topped square linked fence. The Sheep had both its back legs jammed through the top squares of the fence and its head and front jammed down the gap between fence and wall.
My GF who is a proper Essex townie girl was horrified that I was proposing to lift the rather heavy sheep as much as I could so she could free its back legs. I mucked about on farms as a child/ teenager so a sheep was not scary at all to me, but he was more than a bit worried. Anyway the plan worked, the sheep did not struggle at all despite me getting under its belly and basically squat lifting it on my shoulders. Sheep was released and GF was dead chuffed we had saved the sheep from suffering.

:rolleyes:

There is this legend amongst sheep keepers that the fluffy buggers spend all day dreaming up novel ways of finishing themselves off.

I think there's a grain of truth there.

But also I suspect that they're trying to get to browse hedgerows, and interesting bits of edgeland, to get extra vital nutrients on top of just plain old grass, then they get themselves into bother..

colly

Re member eR
A few weeks back I saw a Collared Dove caught in some netting I had put over the pond to keep the herons off the fish. Most likely it was trying to get a drink, it was struggling a bit so clambered over the rockery and spent an age untangling it from the net. Wings, legs beak, all caught somewhere. It seemed ok once freed and it had no obvious damage. So I put it on the grass and it just sat there for a bit. walked around a bit, flapped its wings and sat there.
I wondered if it had broken a bone when a couple of crows put in an appearance. This prompted a move to the top of the fence and when the crows saw it wasn't injured they decided dinner had to be got somewhere else and and left.
The dove sat on the fence for a good half hour occsionally flapping down to the grass and back up.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I did spend a whole afternoon a few years back helping to rescue a neighbours pot bellied pig that had rolled down a bank and fallen into boggy ground.

We ended up having to hand winch her out first , strapped sideways onto a sheet of plywood, with a tarpaulin over her to keep her less stressed.

Then towed her back to her field, on this same sled, along the road with the tractor.

Muriel suffered no visible ill effects from all this, but boy did she squeal throughout the proceedings.

The whole thing felt like a comedy episode of James Herriot, complete with various walk on parts, from snaggle toothed old timers, keen to give their ha'pennethworth of advice as to how we should proceed.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to love wandering around on sheep meadows with like minded friends.. No chemicals so lot's of little mushrooms flourished...
A favourite was Rutland
Turns out this field at Rutland Water was very popular... :laugh: no doubt it still is

Drago

Legendary Member
All these sheep tales recall to mind a young Bobby I knew who was sent one night to a report of a sheep wandering loose along a road and causing traffic mayhem. Not knowing what else to do he managed to round it up and somehow managed to pen it up in the back seat of his police car, only for the sheep to start devouring the interior. My how we laughed when we saw the extent of the paperwork that lay ahead of him.

Top Bottom