Rescuing injured animals - what would you do/have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
. I'd say the best you can do is make them comfy and i know some will say "What"?!, but i talk to them and stroke them to show them a bit of love before they pass away.
I think the talking and stroking would ensure their rapid departure:sad:.
Better just put them in an enclosure with an old tarpaulin over it to keep the light out and leave them in peace and quiet to recover.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Is there anything you need to do to your gate to prevent it happening again?

Sold the house (in France) and moved to Northumberland :okay:

Brads

A few deer which I've had to kill. Not that many birds but a few, Most need a rest but any badly injured are dispatched usually.

I wouldn't hand over bacteria to the SSPCA to save.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Mrs. jg 'rescued' a Crane fly last week by shooing it out of the window. I pointed out that the cold would kill it pretty quickly but I was wrong as she shooed it straight into a spider's web.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And you have a high success rate with the stroke and talk treatment?
A friendly question for you. Do you have a problem with my attempts to save birds in distress on the odd occasion i find one? You seem to be a bit picky about what i say i do. Would you rather folk just left them to suffer,or be killed by cats?

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm generally of the opinion they're wild animals and personally, if possible, I'd put (if feasible) an Injured animal or bird somewhere quiet and let nature takes its course...for better or worse. Millions of creatures are born and die every day, one isnt going to change anything.
A childhood in the countryside perhaps hardens you to reality.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm generally of the opinion they're wild animals and personally, if possible, I'd put (if feasible) an Injured animal or bird somewhere quiet and let nature takes its course...for better or worse. Millions of creatures are born and die every day, one isnt going to change anything.
A childhood in the countryside perhaps hardens you to reality.

Such a shame we cant do that with humans :okay:

Reactions: gbb

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Depends.. If its a nearly dead roadkill wabbit, pheasant etc, I'll finish it off with a
swift pull to the neck, as with chickens

- Tip to make this easier.. Cos you want it to be quick for everyone - put the creatures head on ground. Lay a stick across its neck, stand firmly on each end of the stick.. Then grasp, and pull the body up sharply -

Somehow that's easier to do than grabbing and pulling is head.. Eye contact doesn't help :blink:

If its a just-dead still warm deer? .. Well that's potential dinner isn't it..
Would be disrespectful not to.

With traumatised song birds that might make it i'll put them somewhere dark, for half a day (safe from cats) to give them a chance to either recover, and be released or to allow them to die peacefully.

Raptors, and rarer stuff, like hedgehogs then it's a trip to the appropriate rescue centre.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I faced a similar dilema last week when a fluffy white bird with black tail feathers flew into my window. My neighbour's cat solved it for me by killing it and leaving it as a present for them on their doorstep.
I've been trying various search engines to see if I could find out what it was. Bing (normally a waste of time) turned up this:

bird.jpg

It seems like it was some sort of dove hybrid.

snorri

Legendary Member
A friendly question for you. Do you have a problem with my attempts to save birds in distress on the odd occasion i find one? You seem to be a bit picky about what i say i do. Would you rather folk just left them to suffer,or be killed by cats?
I do have a difference of opinion regarding your method, and no I would not want birds to be left to suffer.
I explained in my first response how I would protect them from general stress and predatory animals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom