Researching recumbents. Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes (ish).. my wife and bank manager certainly do

So do beware it is an addictive hobby and there will always be another style that you "need"

Goes for every cyclist , the lure of n+1 and "but i do need that bit of kit don`t i ?" ^_^ Since i got back into cycling over the last 3-4 years i ahve gone through..
Carrera Subway
appolo tdf 02
carrera virtuoso
carrera tdf 09
My current collection is ..
Virtuoso, boardman road comp and a giant iguana MTB .

I have been tempted by recumbent`s as well and if i had the space , the cash and a family that did not want feeding i would more and likely be down the shops now .

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I got the recumbent bug for a short while a good few years ago when I had a go on a swb recumbent my friend bought from e-bay. It enthused me to build my own as apposed to buying one and after a lot of browsing for info and learnt how to weld I built one from a couple of old bikes and some 50mm x 1.62mm mild steel tube.
bicy-1.jpg
I gave the bike a good 70mile outing (Gt yorkshire bike ride) which I covered in just over 4hrs. I did cramp up at the back end of the ride as you have to develop your recumbent legs..... I beleive uses different leg muscles ! I did use it for a while as my commuting bike as well. There is an art to setting off from a standing start uphill and is a somewhat different way of cycling. Trikes are fun I will have to admit, nearly bought one but my wife stopped me:blush: Try as many different types as you can as they all have their own quirks in the comfort, riding position and handling qualities.......

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Goes for every cyclist , the lure of n+1
For me, that ends when you get the right bike. :-)

The Brompton is the ideal bike when I need to be able to travel on a rush-hour train, and the Trice Q does everything else. I have no desire at all for anything else.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.

The Brompton is the ideal bike when I need to be able to travel on a rush-hour train, and the Trice Q does everything else. I have no desire at all for anything else.

I need something that'll fit through the front door, or at least down the side of the house, so a trike is out. I also need something that'll carry a fair amount of gear, so a Bromptons out. I'm also after something that's light, handles and goes really really fast. What this means is that to buy a new one is gonna cost me over 2 grand. I'll be patient, and look at 2nd hand stuff but they're a rarity. I've told the missus that if I can't find anything in the next few weeks, I'm just going to order exactly what I want.

At the top of my list is a Challenge Fujin SL/Velotechnic Speed Machine. Add in the extras and it's the wrong side of £2,000.....her new car will just have to wait!

starhawk

I need something that'll fit through the front door, or at least down the side of the house, so a trike is out.
Why do you have to bring it in? Why don't you keep it in the garage among the other bikes? I keep mine in the garage and have only had it in the living room when putting the kit together and later when converting it to an e-bike. It was a bit akward carrying it up the stairs but doable, the comfort of riding a trike beats any two-wheeler there is

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Why do you have to bring it in? Why don't you keep it in the garage among the other bikes? I keep mine in the garage and have only had it in the living room when putting the kit together and later when converting it to an e-bike. It was a bit akward carrying it up the stairs but doable, the comfort of riding a trike beats any two-wheeler there is

Long story short, we converted our internal garage into a dining room a few years ago. I keep the bike I'll be riding for the week in the 'dining room', which means coming in through the 29 inch front door, a doddle for a road bike or hybrid.​
To get to my back garden 'garage' means a gap of under 30 inches between our house/next doors fence, which means it's ideal for bicycles, and a squeeze for my Honda CBF motorbike. A recumbent trike however would not fit......maybe I could man handle it by lifting it over my head down the 20 foot path, but I wouldn't fancy doing that every morning at 6am.​
I'd been havey-quavering between 2 and 3 wheels, but now I've checked the width of 3 wheelers (and thank gawd I did before buying!) it seems that most are around 31-32 inches wide, so I'm restricted to 2 wheels. I was favouring 2 wheels any way, but now at least I can focus on specific makes/models. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a Challenge Furai.....but that could change again in half an hour as I keep pouring over makes/models/specs/prices/reviews...it's hard work!

I'm beginning to lose all hope of dropping on a decent 2nd hand recumbent. Rare as rocking horse sh** springs to mind.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I need something that'll fit through the front door, or at least down the side of the house, so a trike is out. I also need something that'll carry a fair amount of gear, so a Bromptons out.
Oh, I don't mean that my choices would be right for you, but rather that buying the right thing for you is the solution to n+1 syndrome.

But my Q fits through a front door. For a while, it lived in the hall (upright with the rear wheel chocked). Turn on side, get front wheels through, turn upright to get seat through.

pierreqr

I'm surprised nobody has pointed you in the direction of VeloVision. A link to their recumbents overview:
http://www.velovision.com/showStory.php?storynum=1164

markg0vbr

Über Member
I'm quite happy with my bike collection of 1 road and 1 hybrid bike for commuting to work every day, but I've always been mesmerised by recumbent bikes I've seen whilst driving. I've only ever seen one in Doncaster whilst I've been cycling and I really regret not following the chap as I'd love to gain some views from an owner. I've seen quite a few reviews, and I'm not really bothered about spending loadsa money on an ultra lightweight machine (my budget is sub £1,500).....just something to get me to work and back, and hopefully to be used for some long distance trips ( I did a 260 mile round trip on the Allez this Summer, but struggled to get all the kit on it.)

All I know up to now is that I really really really need to see/test ride bikes before thinking of shelling out, but there doesn't appear to be any recumbent stockists anywhere near Doncaster!

Any advice from recumbent owners (or stockists) on the pros/cons of different machines would be greatly appreciated.
i am in Rotherham and have several trikes and fast two wheeler you can have a go on if you like.

byegad

Legendary Member
I lift my Kettwiesel and Trail (Not at the same time!) through standard width doors. The Kett' is a but of a pig to get through but the Trail is a breeze. I carry it standing with the seat against me with one hand holding the cross of the frame and the other holding the rear triangle.

Top Bottom