Researching recumbents. Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'm quite happy with my bike collection of 1 road and 1 hybrid bike for commuting to work every day, but I've always been mesmerised by recumbent bikes I've seen whilst driving. I've only ever seen one in Doncaster whilst I've been cycling and I really regret not following the chap as I'd love to gain some views from an owner. I've seen quite a few reviews, and I'm not really bothered about spending loadsa money on an ultra lightweight machine (my budget is sub £1,500).....just something to get me to work and back, and hopefully to be used for some long distance trips ( I did a 260 mile round trip on the Allez this Summer, but struggled to get all the kit on it.)

All I know up to now is that I really really really need to see/test ride bikes before thinking of shelling out, but there doesn't appear to be any recumbent stockists anywhere near Doncaster!

Any advice from recumbent owners (or stockists) on the pros/cons of different machines would be greatly appreciated.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It's a long way from you, in Cambridgeshire, but DTek is the best place to go. You can take test-rides on lots of different recumbents, which is really the only way to see what grabs you as tastes vary tremendously.

It's above your budget new, but secondhand you might get a Trice Q, so I'd definitely put that on the list.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Oh, additional info, I definitely want a 2 wheeler, not a trike......I should've mentioned that, sorry! I still need to be able to filter, lean and get it in the house.

Oh, additional info, I definitely want a 2 wheeler, not a trike......I should've mentioned that, sorry! I still need to be able to filter, lean and get it in the house.

Don't discount a trike

The widest part of any recumbent is the shoulders, and the width of me on the Street Machine or Hurricane is only a few inches narrower than me on the Catrike or Gekko

As an observation, I find that I filter exactly the same on all the machines.... Generally if t is not wide enough for the trike, then it is not wide enough for the others

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
BlackPanther, you definitely don't want to get a recumbent. In fact I strongly advise against it. I suspect that the advantages will not outweigh the disadvantages for you. OTOH you might love the possibilities for gadgetizing.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

BlackPanther, you definitely don't want to get a recumbent. In fact I strongly advise against it. I suspect that the advantages will not outweigh the disadvantages for you. OTOH you might love the possibilities for gadgetizing.

I've never ridden one so, you could of course be right. I look at it this way though. I started off on a 50cc scooter, took my motorbike test, worked up the engine sizes, 600cc, 750cc and 'peaked' at a 1136cc Honda blackbird. Since getting the cycling bug though it's very rare that I commute by motorbike.

My point is that 2 wheels rule, no matter what kind of 2 wheels I'm riding. The recumbent just looks so cool, and I like the idea of a higher top speed, and better luggage capacity, but mainly I look at them and just think "I want one".

If I bought one it wouldn't be my only means of commuting. At the moment we have 4 bikes in the garage (motorbike, road bike, hybrid and MB.) My ultimate plan is to get rid of the Missus's crappy old MB and get her a half decent one that I can ride in Winter. Swap my Allez 16 for a Secteur Elite (or Comp!) Which would leave a nice gap to fill in the garage....hello recumbent? Maybe after I ride one I'll have a change of mind, but that's why I'm going to have to make a serious effort and travel quite a distance to test ride one before I decide.

Has anyone ever bought a recumbent and wished they hadn't?????

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I find that I filter exactly the same on all the machines.... Generally if t is not wide enough for the trike, then it is not wide enough for the others
In London, it's a little different - in stationary traffic, there are situations when I can filter on the Brompton when it's a little tight for the Q, but certainly those situations are the exception rather than the rule.

Has anyone ever bought a recumbent and wished they hadn't?????

Yes (ish).. my wife and bank manager certainly do

I bought a Linear in the late 80's

GnomeSAM_0683.jpg

..but soon realised that I would also need a Trike, so bought a Crystal Engineering Trice

TriceCuldrose.jpg

Unfortunately I then realised that although the Linear and Trice were fine bikes, I needed a Tourer and bought a Street Machine GT

gt_2002_blau_frei.jpg

That however was a bit "solid" for fast day rides so I supplemented my collection with a Challenge Hurricane, a very early one with elastomer suspension

challenge_hurricane_glossy_black_bs.jpg

Then I traded in the Trice and replaced it with a much sportier and speedier Catrike

P3280008-1.jpg

Then finally this year I sold the Linear and bought a folding Gekko as it fits in the new lockers at work

P5210016.jpg

So do beware it is an addictive hobby and there will always be another style that you "need"

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

That's some collection! With my tiny knowledge of recumbents, I have to say that they all look ideal! I just wish there were some dealers nearby for me to take a look at what's on offer and prices etc. Looking at my budget though, I think I'll be watching the forums/classifieds and ebay, then checking reviews as there are a lot more models out there than I first thought.

Finally, if anyone is selling, I'm looking to buy!

Top Bottom