(Wooden) design help/advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuckinthemud

Regular
This is going to sound rambling but please bare with me.
I drive to work. There I said it. 10.5 miles across Caerphilly mountain to the near centre of Cardiff. Currently I can park near the school I teach at. There is no staff parking and the council are about to implement a series of cycle lanes that will mean I will probably end up parking a mile or more from work. I will need a last mile transport solution. Even if I switch to the train, I will still be a mile from work but the trains are incredibly unreliable right now.

Anyway, school uses Pedalpower and I get to play on the ICE Trikes and I love them BUT my 5’6” frame means I virtually sit on the front axle, especially as I use the centre of my foot not toes. This means the trike wheel spins on any kind of slope and pulls spectacular stoppies when I brake hard.

I need to add I am a skilled woodworker with a garage full of timber and my budget is a little less than zero

I want to build something to get from car to work. Upright, bike, trike, recumbent, I don’t really mind. Of the bikes I have owned, my favourite was my 1980s Peugeot road/race bike but I haven’t found a mountain bike I enjoyed riding: my all time favourite maker is Sano.

Some kind of folding recumbent appears to be the most straightforward to build but maybe not the easiest to ride? Pretty much my only criteria is it must fit on the back seat of a small hatchback. As you can see I am largely clueless please can you give me advice/ help/ ideas/options
Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

OP
OP
S

stuckinthemud

Regular
I am not building entirely down to cost, I have often toyed with the idea of building a wood frame as a way of using up some of the timber I have acquired and as a way of learning some new skills, but, cost is a significant factor and I will definitely check out free-cycle, if nothing else to source donor parts

A colleague has built a recumbent from laminated pine; he steamed and bent the strips and glued them together, then filed and sanded them into an oval. It works extremely well, although it doesn't fold, which I think may be the biggest problem: screwing into pine will work but I don't know how well it would hold long term when it's being opened and closed every day, and if you use a hardwood it would be much heavier.

As this is a "Last mile" solution maybe a fairly normal folding bike would be simpler?

OP
OP
S

stuckinthemud

Regular
I will probably end up with a normal folding bike, but as I have seasoned oak, ash, holly, mahogany, hazel, yew, apple, cherry, sapele and more, it is good to explore all my options. Just wish I had access to decent bamboo.........

I will probably end up with a normal folding bike, but as I have seasoned oak, ash, holly, mahogany, hazel, yew, apple, cherry, sapele and more, it is good to explore all my options. Just wish I had access to decent bamboo.........

My colleague has made a bike from bamboo as well. I think he's investigating methods for making a recumbent our of it. Will have to ask. He's usually making something ingenious from something you wouldn't expect...

classic33

Leg End Member

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Home -builders of light aircraft have a faint interest of their mode of transport not falling apart in the air. Have a look at this article.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?esrc=s&...0QFnoECAgQAg&usg=AOvVaw1WnzlxXTzquXp1FaWYtAkX

Sitka Spruce and Douglas Fir are very popular. Back in the 1970's you could get aircraft Spruce with a grain that didn't deviate from parallel by more than 2 degrees. The stuff of dreams!

midlife

Guru
Spruce Goose :smile:

:ohmy:
ec4db6d843976f01bd3a6801cf4a5762.jpg

Top Bottom